The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Darn Geese in the field (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/darn-geese-field-121056/)

alexischristina 04-23-2012 07:30 PM

Darn Geese in the field

A pair of Canadian geese decided my pasture was a good a place as any to set up home, which would be fine except they're vicious little buggers. My arena is unfenced and open onto the field, they haven't bothered me or my sister while riding (yet) but I was walking through the arena the other day and they started running at my friend and I in full on attack mode, when we started running they went into flight and did end up leaving us alone, once the horses were between us and them.

Oh and I go out today and there are six of them out there. Six geese on our field. A few years ago I saw a goose leave a dog needing 50 stitches. Ugh.

Bridgertrot 04-23-2012 07:33 PM

Oddly enough...I heard that Canadian Geese don't like grape jelly. So if you find their nest put grape jelly on it lol and they should hopefully go away
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 04-23-2012 07:38 PM

And goose crap everywhere is horrible! Fortunately they confine themselves to bottom of the pasture by the little lake, not up by the house. Yes, they are very vicious things, especially if they have goslings or are nesting.

Rascaholic 04-23-2012 07:41 PM

Please post pictures if you go close enough to a gooses nest to dump some jelly on it.

alexischristina 04-23-2012 07:43 PM

LOL no thanks, not going to tempt the beasts they might hate Jelly but I'm sure they love blood.

Sweeney Road 04-23-2012 08:27 PM

How can you tell the Canadian geese?

They're the ones who say 'Eh?'

waresbear 04-23-2012 08:33 PM

Only the ones that are on the East Coast.

pepperduck 04-23-2012 09:07 PM

We keep the geese off our beach by putting a rope around the lake. It has to only be about 6 inches off the ground, they can't step over it and don't have the sense to fly over it. We have never had problems with them because of of the rope, however I don't know how this would work if they already have a nest there. Good idea for next year though :)

Cherie 04-24-2012 08:55 AM

We used to share our pastures and winter wheat fields with Canadian and snow geese.

NOT ANY MORE!

I lost a really good yearling about 10 years ago to Salmonella. He got the bloody scours over night. Vet said he would 'doctor' him but I was wasting my time and he would die. He sent everything home with me including IV fluids, amino acid solutions, Dextrose and High priced antibiotics and about a dozen other things. About $1000.00 later, colt started to gain back weight, looked better and starting eating. Then I went out one morning and he was dead. The small intestine had ruptured. Vet said "Told you so."

He said the colt picked up the Salmonella from the geese -- they are really bad carriers.

Now, we see them 'grazing' in the field and husband shoots the 12 gauge near them a couple of times. If they keep coming back, he shoots to kill and leaves them lay. That seems to keep the others away. They can nest near someone else's ponds and graze someone else's grass. I don't share any more.

wetrain17 04-24-2012 09:26 AM

Get rid of them now before more show up.