The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Gallop Color Enhancing Shampoo (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/gallop-color-enhancing-shampoo-121070/)

sarahkgamble 04-23-2012 10:21 PM

Gallop Color Enhancing Shampoo

My horse already has a pretty nice coat, but I'm interested in seeing how lovely his color could be if I used color enhancing shampoo on him. Has anyone ever used this on their horses? Shamrock is bay, so I'm definitely interested in other bay horse owners' reviews, but any works!

Thanks guys!

ktrolson 04-24-2012 02:28 AM

Yes, I have used the black on my horse and it seemed to work pretty well. you do need to reapply though.

sarahkgamble 04-24-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktrolson (Post 1469146)
Yes, I have used the black on my horse and it seemed to work pretty well. you do need to reapply though.

I've read the reviews on Dover about it and they all said that it left their horses amazingly soft and shiny. Some said that at first it didn't seem to "enhance" their color, but then at their show they noticed how much of a difference it actually did make.

DejaVu 04-24-2012 10:44 AM

I think it's worth trying.

Have you considered feed supplementing with paprika? That's what helped my bay the most.

sarahkgamble 04-24-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DejaVu (Post 1470026)
I think it's worth trying.

Have you considered feed supplementing with paprika? That's what helped my bay the most.

No, I've never heard of that & I'm not knowledgeable on supplements. Plus since I board, I'm not sure how the BO will like me wanting to add something extra to his feed. He only gets fed in the morning & I'm never there, so its not like I could go do it. :P
Posted via Mobile Device

TraceyAnn 04-26-2012 11:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my Black TWH after using Paprika as a supplement. I should point out that I do not show, so I dont have to being concerned about "positive testing"..

When I bought her the owner showed me pictures of her when she was very black before she was so sun-faded.. I wasn't sure I would be able to ever her get her back to being a BLACK horse again...

In the first picture you will see that she is sorta bay, or brownish. I started using paprika in mid-March and you will see the difference in the second picture. - I also give her a small amount of Canola oil and Flaxseed to make her shiney.

I promise you this is the SAME horse. Hubby says it's amazing that she looks like a different horse.

Spirit Lifter 04-27-2012 10:51 AM

How much paprika do you use daily? I have a palomino and I heard that paprika will keep her from bleaching out. They said to use that with corn oil to improve sheen too.

sarahkgamble 04-27-2012 11:34 AM

Whoa! That's SUCH a big difference. What do you mean by "positive testing" though? My hope is to show him some this summer and I don't want to get in trouble or anything.

My boy gets fed only in the morning and I'm not out there to feed him, so I hate to add something to his feed and put hassle on the morning feeders. Do you think I could mix it with something that I can give him after I ride?

TraceyAnn 04-27-2012 12:02 PM

I use 1 tablespoon at each feeding. She is fed 2 x per day. I use Canola oil, and flaxseed for sheen.

I don't show but I have read on here that because Paprika is a pepper, it has something in it that test positive at shows. I'm not sure what it is. Search this forum for the word Paprika and you will probably find the info.

Do you purchase the feed for your horse? If so, maybe you can just put any additives you wish to add and mix with the feed. The morning feeders could just scoop and feed as normal.
Posted via Mobile Device

sarahkgamble 04-27-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraceyAnn (Post 1475124)
I use 1 tablespoon at each feeding. She is fed 2 x per day. I use Canola oil, and flaxseed for sheen.

I don't show but I have read on here that because Paprika is a pepper, it has something in it that test positive at shows. I'm not sure what it is. Search this forum for the word Paprika and you will probably find the info.

Do you purchase the feed for your horse? If so, maybe you can just put any additives you wish to add and mix with the feed. The morning feeders could just scoop and feed as normal.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll look into it. :)

No, I don't buy it, the BO does and he just gets fed 1/2 scoop of pellets each morning. I don't really have any control over it, unless I bought my own and switched him, but I don't really see the point besides adding something.