The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   how to groom a horse for show (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-groom-horse-show-121089/)

Mimi loves Horses 04-24-2012 12:30 AM

how to groom a horse for show

3 Attachment(s)
How should i groom my horse Raz for his 1st show. This is a very BIG fun show. I just can't see him looking appropriate. I am going to post pics of him now and a pic of the winner western pleasure horse from last year. So if you can tell me what i should get to groom him and how to make him look good that would be great.
Thanks.

GutsNGrits 04-24-2012 02:37 AM

Clip him or give a GOOOOD bath with Dove shampoo and conditioner. Roach his mane, cut his mane, or braid his mane very neatly. Cut his tail nice and square on the bottom. Lots of brushing it and conditioning it. Put it in a tail bag. Then put a light sheet and mane tamer on him. Then, male sure all your equipment is very nicely cleaned (:
Hope this helped?

Can He Star 04-25-2012 08:52 PM

so you do western pleasure right?

if so
*first up a really good bath .

* then i would clip him if possible - make sure it is done correctly( if you can't clip him make sure straight after you wash him you brush the hair in the direction you want it so it won't go curly and in the wrong direction when it dries)

*then trim his tail so it is just above the fetlocks

* cut his mane so it is about 3-4 inches short and band it as shown in the picture above.

* for his legs clip the hair under his fetlocks to tidy up his feet

* get ravens oil- be careful because it stains and put it on his black points
http://www.louellastud.co.uk/clientf...rhoarwithy.jpg

* black makeup for his eyes and muzzle. use a sponge to apply lightly. then go over with baby oil or a clear gloss.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...headshot-1.jpg

* then i would paint his hooves with oil or give them a coat of black. i use black it or worlds best hoof oil.

just go for a look at your nearest saddlery store and they should have everything you need

take your time and have fun !!

ellygraceee 04-25-2012 10:46 PM

I think it'd help if you also went over his mane with a thinning comb or leave your cut a little longer and just pull the remainder to avoid the toilet brush look. I'd do that as soon as possible. Then the night before, that's when I'd band it and then put a skinny hood over the top to make it stay flat.

I wouldn't put black make up on his face, simply because it can be quite hard to do if you don't have the natural black/grey around his eyes to go off. Instead, I'd probably use baby oil.

If you can't clip him (which I wouldn't suggest if you're going into summer now), then I'd suggest getting into him with a brush and getting rid of as much loose hair from his coat as you can. Then I'd put a light cotton rug on him, making sure all hair is lying flat and then perhaps even put a bigger rug on top (but not enough to overheat him - I'm not sure what your weather is like). Once you've brushed him, I'd go over his coat with a soft sheepskin grooming mit.

One of my favourite grooming things is my Mr Sheen Furniture Polish - just lightly spray on his tail and his legs (if you can't get the raven's oil for his legs). It'll make them look far richer in colour. After the show, just make sure you wash both areas well.

Good luck at your show!

michaelvanessa 04-28-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimi loves Horses (Post 1468968)
How should i groom my horse Raz for his 1st show. This is a very BIG fun show. I just can't see him looking appropriate. I am going to post pics of him now and a pic of the winner western pleasure horse from last year. So if you can tell me what i should get to groom him and how to make him look good that would be great.
Thanks.

hiya well next time ill send some pictures in an album i think i got one of tammy in a keep me clean rug and i had a mad idear of
a dog coat to fit a pony with legs and a long neck backed up with a hood with ears a tail bag and a 2 pairs of davis boots i also have a horse hover by super dandy and a horse hair dryer by trocken max from germaney i tell you thats how to keep a cremello tammy and my section a welsh tricky clean.

Ripper 04-28-2012 05:01 PM

If you body clip him, do his black legs a week or so before you clip the rest of him.

Let if grow out a little.