The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What is wrong with my farrier!? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-wrong-my-farrier-121102/)

redape49 04-24-2012 12:42 AM

What is wrong with my farrier!?
 
So today I decided to do some light riding on the 6Y/O standardbred gelding I lease before the farrier showed up. I went to get a hay net to keep him busy while he was having his feet done and to my horror he was smacking him with his rasping file ON HIS FACE. I told him to wait while I tied up a hay net as he proceeded to explain to me that the horse was nipping at him. Um, that's why I told him to WAIT. This horse is perfectly willing with the farrier when he has something to do hence me getting a hay net.....I know nipping is not tolerated and the only time he will do it is if he is unoccupied while he is having his feet done. I understand him correcting the horse, but i specifically told him to wait. I'm sorry, but whacking a horse in the face with a rasping file is abuse in my book. I told him to get away from the horse and to leave. OK rant over I think :evil:

fromthismoment 04-24-2012 12:51 AM

Yeah, I agree with you; he can leave. I don't like the rasp in the face that could easily create a head shy horse.

Country Woman 04-24-2012 01:00 AM

was your horse hurt with the rasp
I would not have that farrier there either

Skyseternalangel 04-24-2012 01:23 AM

What do you mean, smacking him in the face with a rasp?

Was he holding him down, unable to move and smacking him. Or was it more one whack on his face where he had a choice to quit his behavior, or what?

Personally I do not hit horses in the face. If a horse tries to bite me while I'm girth-ing they'll meet my elbow but I wouldn't turn around and smack the horse with an object.

Biting is a problem though. Has the owner done anything about it? Have you been Buck? A bite can be very damaging.

redape49 04-24-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1469137)
What do you mean, smacking him in the face with a rasp?

Was he holding him down, unable to move and smacking him. Or was it more one whack on his face where he had a choice to quit his behavior, or what?

Personally I do not hit horses in the face. If a horse tries to bite me while I'm girth-ing they'll meet my elbow but I wouldn't turn around and smack the horse with an object.

He grabbed his halter and whacked him pretty hard. I don't think the horse was hurt, but he was sure got real pissy after that.

kiwi79 04-24-2012 01:41 AM

My current horse used to get whacked on the face with the rasp by the owner before the girl I brought him from. She (the lady I got him from) saw it happening and he wasnt playing up, just shifting his weight. Although he is ok to shoe now, he does tend to fidget a bit and doesnt like rasps around him - I dont blame him! He's not a fan of being touched on his head either but I dont know if he's always been like that or if it stems from being hit. I wouldnt tolerate him being hit on the head by anyone for whatever reason, I would use my elbow if need be like Sky said but thats it. Is the farrier someone you found or did he come with the horse? If you are stuck with him then make sure next time he understands that he needs to wait until the you and the horse are ready. Otherwise find someone else if you are able to.

redape49 04-24-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi79 (Post 1469172)
My current horse used to get whacked on the face with the rasp by the owner before the girl I brought him from. She (the lady I got him from) saw it happening and he wasnt playing up, just shifting his weight. Although he is ok to shoe now, he does tend to fidget a bit and doesnt like rasps around him - I dont blame him! He's not a fan of being touched on his head either but I dont know if he's always been like that or if it stems from being hit. I wouldnt tolerate him being hit on the head by anyone for whatever reason, I would use my elbow if need be like Sky said but thats it. Is the farrier someone you found or did he come with the horse? If you are stuck with him then make sure next time he understands that he needs to wait until the you and the horse are ready. Otherwise find someone else if you are able to.

In my lease I'm responsible for the horses care and this farrier was used prior to me leasing him. I hope this was the first time he's done this. I know it will be his last tho as long as I'm around :evil:

Skyseternalangel 04-24-2012 01:57 AM

Yeah that's just not the way to do it... how can a horse learn not to bite with that kind of lousy correction.

Now you get to find a new farrier, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by redape49 (Post 1469140)
He grabbed his halter and whacked him pretty hard. I don't think the horse was hurt, but he was sure got real pissy after that.


Samstead 04-24-2012 02:50 AM

I just might have smacked him in the face with the fly rasp and ask him how HE liked completely disrespectfult to start right away after you told him to wait

oh vair oh 04-24-2012 02:54 AM

lol, it's poor timing, but not unwarranted. Horse should not nip people, and shouldn't need a bag of hay to keep occupied. No wonder the thing nips, it expects food... Personally I would've hit the horse on the nose with the rasp and then just kept shoeing...xD


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0