The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Collection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/collection-121132/)

cowgirl928 04-24-2012 10:36 AM

Collection

How can I teach my fox trotter to collect so she fox trots better? I am trying to get her back into shape but I want her to collect well before a whole lot of work. I can seem to collect her sometimes, but then she just pushes through the bit or hackamore and refuses to collect again until a few more steps later. I am also going to try to submit a video so you guys can maybe tell me at what times she is fox trotting and such since she is the only gaited horse I have ever owned. There is another gaited owner at the stable but we never get the chance to ride with each other because of my horses foal and we can't go very far for very long :? I just want to establish her gaits so we can sit in a foxtrot for long periods of time without me constantly having to remind her.

homehorsetraining 04-24-2012 05:06 PM

I would say you need to learn to collect your horse using your seat and body rather than the bit. Your horse won't learn anything except to lean on your hands and no one finds it enjoyable to have to hold their horse up while riding them! I also think the horse needs to get in shape before the type of consistency you are expecting becomes possible. A horse that is even slightly out of shape won't have the correct muscle strength to hold herself in a collected state for long. I would do a lot of short spurts trying to hold the collection together and gradually increase them.

cowgirl928 04-25-2012 06:40 AM

K I will just do short spurts then. I use my seat but she seems to get just tired or irritated and falls out of it after about a minute or two. I will just do a lot of short spurts then! Thank you :)