The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What Size Bit? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/what-size-bit-121216/)

kittersrox 04-24-2012 10:58 PM

What Size Bit?

How do you figure out what size bit you need? Thanks! :)

Skyseternalangel 04-24-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittersrox (Post 1470647)
How do you figure out what size bit you need? Thanks! :)

Here's one video I found really helpful. It's new to me too!

ChristineNJ 04-24-2012 11:27 PM

Great video! Never knew that!! Great way to measure!

kittersrox 04-24-2012 11:51 PM

Thank you Sky, that video was very helpful! Now, let's just hope my horse doesn't mind having a stick shoved in his mouth ;)

Skyseternalangel 04-25-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittersrox (Post 1470737)
Thank you Sky, that video was very helpful! Now, let's just hope my horse doesn't mind having a stick shoved in his mouth ;)

Haha right? And you're welcome!

smrobs 04-25-2012 12:17 AM

One thing that he didn't mention is that you'll actually want to take the measurement between the marks and add about 1/2 inch (1.27 cm) to it, especially on a bit like a loose ring snaffle. That way, the bit will be wide enough that it won't pinch the lips or face.

If you buy a bit that is exactly the width of the horse's mouth, then a loose ring snaffle will pinch and sore the corners of the mouth. You could probably get away with it if you're using an eggbutt or a full cheek, but not many other bits would be as forgiving. If you buy a curb bit the exact width, then the purchase rings will actually dig into the sides of the horse's face because their face gets wider just above their lips.

Most horses that comfortably wear a 5" bit will actually have a mouth measurement of ~4.5".

kittersrox 04-25-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1470790)
One thing that he didn't mention is that you'll actually want to take the measurement between the marks and add about 1/2 inch (1.27 cm) to it, especially on a bit like a loose ring snaffle. That way, the bit will be wide enough that it won't pinch the lips or face.

If you buy a bit that is exactly the width of the horse's mouth, then a loose ring snaffle will pinch and sore the corners of the mouth. You could probably get away with it if you're using an eggbutt or a full cheek, but not many other bits would be as forgiving. If you buy a curb bit the exact width, then the purchase rings will actually dig into the sides of the horse's face because their face gets wider just above their lips.

Most horses that comfortably wear a 5" bit will actually have a mouth measurement of ~4.5".

Good to know, thank you smrobs. I was thinking of getting a french link snaffle. Do you think that is a good bit that isn't too harsh? Or is there a different type of snaffle you would suggest? I never knew there were so many different types of snaffles. I know nothing about bits, so I've been trying to do a lot of research. In the end I'm normally confused. :?

Oh yeah, the bit is for my 17 year old gelding who normally has a lot of go. He's been using Martha Josey's Million Dollar Bit but without the rope over his nose. That's what was recommended to me by his previous owner, but honestly, I don't really like it and I don't think he cares for it either.

smrobs 04-25-2012 12:02 PM

French link snaffles are nice bits.

If you'd like to read a bit more about the different kinds of bits, there are a couple of threads that have been "stickied" to the top of this section; one is about snaffles and the other is about curbs.

poppy1356 04-25-2012 12:27 PM

Hey I sent you a PM. You can try the bit I use with Lizzy if you would like, it's pretty pricey though since it's a Myler. She sure has a good stop with it. I am sure you could borrow people's until you figure out what works best, that's what I did. I am still learning about bits myself that's why I found borrowing different types the best. Otherwise if you want to try a plain old snaffle I have one you can borrow.

verona1016 04-26-2012 12:45 AM

I like double jointed snaffles as well- I use an oval link (which is very similar to the French link) with my horse and he goes well in it.

Some horses have a preference for how many joints they have on their bit, depending on how much space they have in their mouth and whether or not they like it to conform to their tongues. Single jointed, double jointed, and waterford snaffles are all mild snaffle bits that you might try if he doesn't like the first one you go with. Stay away from anything that has twisted wire like the "million dollar bit" :-|