The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   I thought we were making progress..guess not (pulling back when tied) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/i-thought-we-were-making-progress-121251/)

Blondehorselover 04-25-2012 10:37 AM

I thought we were making progress..guess not (pulling back when tied)

Somedays my horse will tie fine (except he never ties ok on a trailer) and other days, like yesterday, he gives me a heart attack. I tied him up and as soon as I stepped 2 feet away he pulled back, reared up and fought until he slipped out of the halter. He then took off down the driveway. Luckily he stopped and I was able to catch him. I'm so confused, why does he do this only some days? I am going to see if the boarding stable will allow me to put in a blocker tie ring but I feel like he needs to learn not to pull back in the first place. HELP!

nvr2many 04-25-2012 10:41 AM

I'm not sure why he does this but when he gets out of his halter and runs off its like a reward. That may cause him to keep doing it knowing he will eventually get out. Do you have a rope halter that if he pulls he cannot get out of??? I would think if he pulled and pulled and could not get loose he would stop. I am no expert. That's just my 2 cents. I am curious to what others think.

BlueSpark 04-25-2012 10:51 AM

Its possible he's learned that he can get out of standing by pulling back(the reward when he breaks a halter or lead). Horses are generally very claustraphobic, and being prey animals running is their best defense, Thus being tied solid is unnatural and one of the hardest things for them to accept.

Try looping the lead around a post. If he pulls back there will be some resistance, but it will let out some slack. When he calms down and stops pulling, put him back in the possition he was in before he tried to pull. Eventually he will learn that he is not tied fast to the post, so there is no need to panic and that no matter what he does he needs to stand quietly by that post.

I'm not a fan of tying a full grown horse solid and letting them thrash it out. can pull muscles in the back and neck, break things and result in all manner of horrible injuries.

Blondehorselover 04-25-2012 10:53 AM

He was in a rope halter and this was the first time he actually got out of it.

nvr2many 04-25-2012 10:58 AM

I want to clarify I was not meaning to let the horse thrash or hurt itself. We had a horse that would do this and as soon as we used a halter she could not break she stopped. Its really hard because no two horses are alike just like people. And what works for one may not work for another. I am sure there are lots of members that will have different things to try. Good luck.

natisha 04-25-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blondehorselover (Post 1471342)
Somedays my horse will tie fine (except he never ties ok on a trailer) and other days, like yesterday, he gives me a heart attack. I tied him up and as soon as I stepped 2 feet away he pulled back, reared up and fought until he slipped out of the halter. He then took off down the driveway. Luckily he stopped and I was able to catch him. I'm so confused, why does he do this only some days? I am going to see if the boarding stable will allow me to put in a blocker tie ring but I feel like he needs to learn not to pull back in the first place. HELP!

You shouldn't need permission to use a tie ring. Attach it to whatever is already there & remove it when you are finished.

HorsesAreMyPassion 04-25-2012 03:08 PM

You could try The Blocker Tie Ring or The Clip Safe Tie. One of those might work well for you. I have never used them, so not sure if they would be suitable or not. I think that they would be a better alternative to tying to baling twine that would break instantly though, because the idea behind the blocker and the clip is that it resists a bit but gives a bit so it would give the horse more time to think and not just suddenly break free like with twine.

You could also try running a very long lead rope straight through a tie ring, don't tie it just hold on to it and groom or whatever and resist a little with it when he goes to pull back, if worse came to worse and you let go and he continued the lead rope would just slide through the ring, or try BlueSparks idea of looping around the post but not tying it.

SmartTie Products
Blocker Tie Ring Horse Safety Clip Equestrian Supplies Lead Rope Ropes - Blocker Ranch, Inc

RoosHuman 04-25-2012 05:20 PM

It may be a good idea to practice tying in a stall, if one is available. The three walls will prevent him from escaping from the tie, via bumping him forward if he tries to lunge back. This can be done while he is being groomed, etc.