The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   New artist looking for review (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/new-artist-looking-review-121286/)

Summerize 04-25-2012 02:24 PM

New artist looking for review

Just posted some of the work I just did over my 2 years so far in high school, they are in albums on my page, I'd like to hear what people think of what I am doing and how I could improve, and what I am doing well. I have leather work (mostly breyer horse tack), model airbrushing (under the leather work section), and my drawings...and yes there are quite a few horses. Also looking for what I could do in the future. :-)

tinyliny 04-25-2012 05:35 PM

Summer,

It would be nice if you'd post a few of those photos right nere in the artwork forum. YOu'd get a better critique.

I like the energy of your pencil! the way you shade in all kinds of lines and all directions. the drawings are really "alive".

I think if you can take photos of your work from a straight down position you will not get the distortion that we see when you take them from an angle.

Put the pictures on the ground in natural light, such as near a sliding glass door, or even outside in shade. stand on a chair if you need to and hold the camera so that it's parallel to the floor, then take a photo. get as close as you can, to block out the background and use the macro function if you end up being really close the drawing.

Summerize 04-25-2012 05:42 PM

Thanks for the advice and Drawing with line is what I am best at, I use subtle variation in pressure I put on it to produce every grey color from light grey to black, I've never excelled in cross hatching and I am working on painting as well, color rendering is how I have done a few of them

OkieGal 04-25-2012 05:57 PM

Looked at your pictures. They're all nice, and realistic.
The only thing that stands out to me is they lack depth. Add more lowlights and moderate to deeply shaded areas where needed. :)

Summerize 04-25-2012 05:59 PM

ok thanks