The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Dumb Question about Chains on TWH (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/dumb-question-about-chains-twh-121297/)

nucks93 04-25-2012 04:07 PM

Dumb Question about Chains on TWH

Hey everyone, I want to first off say that I have never ridden or owned a gaited horse, but I have seen a lot of footage about people soring, shoeing with stacked pads, etc to the Big Licks. I was just wondering how chains around the horses legs is abusive, and what exactly they do. Thanks guys!

Wallee 04-25-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucks93 (Post 1471856)
Hey everyone, I want to first off say that I have never ridden or owned a gaited horse, but I have seen a lot of footage about people soring, shoeing with stacked pads, etc to the Big Licks. I was just wondering how chains around the horses legs is abusive, and what exactly they do. Thanks guys!

They are used to make the horse pick his feet in the fron higher from my understanding. I have been around some barns where they were doing this and I cant say that its bad but I wouldnt do it to mine. There is a youtube video you need to see let me go fetch you a link brb ha ha!

Wallee 04-25-2012 04:28 PM

CHeck this out, not all walkers are treated bad. This guy here is treated with the upmost respect!

arrowsaway 04-25-2012 04:40 PM

the chains [some use beads] roll on the horse's pasterns and essentially are a nuisance to the animal, which makes the animal throw its legs up in an exaggerated manner. it doesn't cause physical injury, but it's annoying. Not something I would do. I like my walkers "au naturale". :-)

KissTheRing 04-25-2012 04:49 PM

Like ArrowsAway said It irritates the band and makes them throw bigger- I like the use compared to other methods.

If we want to talk about abusive, Talk about western Hobbles =( Bleh!

Wallee 04-25-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KissTheRing (Post 1471941)
Like ArrowsAway said It irritates the band and makes them throw bigger- I like the use compared to other methods.

Hobbles are not abusive, Just cause you do not agree with them doesnt make them abusive. :P and people thinking everything about walkers is abusive is just plain iggnorance. They are treated well and some arent same as every other breed and dicipline. Agree?

Wallee 04-25-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KissTheRing (Post 1471941)

Hobbles are not abusive, Just cause you do not agree with them doesnt make them abusive. :P and people thinking everything about walkers is abusive is just plain iggnorance. They are treated well and some arent same as every other breed and dicipline. Agree?

TimWhit91 04-25-2012 05:34 PM

Hobbles are far from abusive. I don't see how this bead thing is abusive either, annoying yes, but not abusive.

Is that how all walkers move? I'm glad my paint doesn't walk like that...just looks so unnatural

nucks93 04-25-2012 05:43 PM

Thats a really neat and interesting video...but the way the Big Licks move just looks so....weird? Unnatural? Its just a personal preference, but I wish every TWH show horse was treated like this

nucks93 04-25-2012 05:47 PM

Actually. Let me rephrase my last message. I wish every horse in general was treated like this :D