The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Is my boy underweight!!?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-boy-underweight-121368/)

torty 04-26-2012 06:51 AM

Is my boy underweight!!??

Some one commented on how underweight my horse is :-(. I thought he looked pretty good but apparently he very
skinny. Hes a 22 year old thoroughbred whos had a hard life. I felt terrible after the person told me he was skinny because i try to give him the best care i can. These photos were taken in summer and i will admit he get a bit skinnier in winter. Hes fed twice a day and wears a summer sheet in summer and winter and during the night in winter he wears a doona rug and fleece rug.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/...rtii1/v035.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/...RIMG0095-1.jpg

Shropshirerosie 04-26-2012 07:19 AM

Well, I'm guessing that the person who spoke to you is not used to Thoroughbreds, or just didn't realise that you would take their comment to heart.

In answer to your question, as this is a summer photo, yes I would like to see a little more flesh and a little less bone. At that age, TB's can drop weight quite swiftly in the winter and if he were my horse I'd probably be a bit paranoid about keeping the weight on him. I would be looking into feeds that can get the weight on better, or more feeds in the day if necessary.

But don't beat yourself up! He looks otherwise healthy and happy. When you have a horse for a while I think we all start to be a bit 'blind' to their condition because we get so used to it. Continue to enjoy him, and be proud of him.

And ignore the critics unless they do so in a kind constructive manner.

torty 04-26-2012 07:29 AM

Thankyou. Im trying new feed tomorrow and hopefully he puts on some weight this winter :)

NdAppy 04-26-2012 09:10 AM

Being a TB is not an excuse to have a skinny horse Shropshirerosie. That excuse gets used all the time. There is a difference between skinny and racing fit. TB's are no harder/easier to get weight on than any other horse. Each horse has to be taken on an individual basis.

Torty - Yes your horse is underweight, not dangerously so, but still under an ideal weight. He is lacking topline and could use some more weight in general.

How much and what are you feeding him and what are you switching him to?

Tayz 04-26-2012 09:27 AM

Hes not that skinny but I do agree he isnt the ideal weight and is lacking a topline. If he loses more in the winter id be defiently changing his feed. He looks lovely though, not like hes starving so honestly dont take the comment to heart. I like the fact your game enough to put this up when some people could possibly get fiery and the fact your changing his feed and going to try and get him fatter. Such a good owner ^^ :)

MN Tigerstripes 04-26-2012 09:42 AM

I would agree that he is underweight, not dangerously thin, but definitely needs to put on some weight. He doesn't really have any weight to lose during winter either, so it would be a good idea to change his feed now.

What are you feeding him and how much?

silverdollarmagic 04-26-2012 10:03 PM

The biggest "issue" I see is the lack of topline muscling but that will improve with work. He's a tad underweight and needs some fat cover over his hips, but he's not so underweight that he looks starved. He's a handsome boy :)

Skyseternalangel 04-27-2012 12:55 AM

He has no topline and yes he is underweight.

Increase his forage (hay) and make sure he has access to clean water before you up the amount of grain.

What is he getting now? And what is in this new grain/label?

How often do you ride him?

How often is he turned out?

Maybe think about putting him on a weight builder as well.

torty 04-27-2012 07:02 AM

He is in pasture 24/7. Hes not ridden anymore. I have my hands full with my younger one but once a year my friend will come over and have a walk around on him (shes the one in the picture). I was feeding him 1 biscut of hay in the morning and 4 litres of Esifeed Old Timer with 1 litre of chaff and 2 liters of Pollard. I am putting him on 2 litres of weight lifter instead of chaff. Thanyou for replying everyone.

GhostwindAppaloosa 04-27-2012 07:43 AM

if that is his pasture I'd say its not enough for him to sustain on. IM not sure what your grain measurements are, but one flake of hay is not enough. The fact he is eating it over the green pasture would tell you that it is not sustaining him. My horses wont touch hay if the grass is good. I'd up that to 2-3 flakes 2x a day PLUS grain twice a day. And in winter you want to have unlimited hay. It takes a lot of calories to stay warm especially when you have no body fat. I'd look into a good heavy weight rug for him int he winter.