The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Bob Marshall and Circle Y Treeless Trail Saddles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/bob-marshall-circle-y-treeless-trail-121369/)

laurapike 04-26-2012 07:14 AM

Bob Marshall and Circle Y Treeless Trail Saddles

I have a fat mare who I have been unable to find a traditional trail saddle for that will fit properly without fitting. I got hurt badly last year when my saddle slipped and I came off and broke my coccyx. After a lot of research it looks like a treeless saddle might be the way to go.
Anyone tried either of these saddles, they seem to be the highest quality while still having the traditional western saddle look.

any feedback I can get would be greatly appreciated.

laurapike 04-26-2012 10:01 AM

Treeless Saddles

Re reading my question I see that I worded it poorly but I am sure you get the idea. Would a treeless saddle be a good option for my large bellied 16 hand paint? I know they are not one size fits all but I am desparate to get back to riding this mare. Also can someone speak to the safety of these saddles, from what I have read they slip easier and that is the thing I most fear on this horse. I know there are no guarantees in life but I am determined to find a way to be able to move forward with this horse.

jumanji321 04-26-2012 11:24 AM

Unless you like a TON of padding, the Circle Y one might not be good. That saddle bounces me out of even the smoothest horses. Give me a hard seat and I'm fine.

nvr2many 04-26-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurapike (Post 1473214)
Re reading my question I see that I worded it poorly but I am sure you get the idea. Would a treeless saddle be a good option for my large bellied 16 hand paint? I know they are not one size fits all but I am desparate to get back to riding this mare. Also can someone speak to the safety of these saddles, from what I have read they slip easier and that is the thing I most fear on this horse. I know there are no guarantees in life but I am determined to find a way to be able to move forward with this horse.

Not about the saddles but about the slipping. Do you use a back cinch and breast collar. Would that help your saddle not slip? I have never had one slip. I am so sorry this happened to you. Good luck.

To add: I have a flex tree circle Y but not sure about the tree less. Love mine.

jumanji321 04-26-2012 11:54 AM

Then again, with your coccyx, it might be a good idea to have more padding so you reduce impact on your back.

calicokatt 04-27-2012 12:25 AM

My mom has a Bob Marshal, she bought it because she fractured her tailbone and couldn't ride in a normal saddle. She loves hers. I've ridden it many a time, and must say, its darn near the most comfortable thing I've ever sat in. We've never had any issue with it slipping while riding unless the cinch was loose (woops!), but it does spin when you mount if you mount from the ground. We usually just look for a log or a hill to use for a 'mounting block'. The only downfall for me is that the horn is REALLY high and I always end up with bruises (though I typically ride english or bareback, so it could be somewhat my fault).

My mom also got their endurance saddle, and we both hated it. The stirrups were set too far back, which would be fine if you were standing up all the time, but we generally don't, and they were painful if you were sitting in the saddle.