The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Farm child labor law changes

3K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  FlyGap 
#1 ·
Okay, this is insane. Below was taken from wear abc:

Congressman Miller responded Wednesday evening to federal regulation changes that are being proposed on youth labor rules on farms.

Below are the purposed changes:

• Children under 16 that are being paid cannot operate most power-driven equipment, including tractors and combines. Some student-learners would be exempted from the ban on operating tractors and other farm implements, but only if the equipment has rollover protection and seat belts.
  • Children under 18 cannot work at grain elevators, silos, feedlots and livestock auctions and cannot transport raw farm materials.
  • Children 15 and younger are prohibited from cultivating, curing and harvesting tobacco to prevent exposure to green tobacco sickness, which is caused by exposure to wet tobacco plants.
  • Youths cannot use electronic devices such as cellphones while operating power-driven equipment.
A statement from Congressman Miller's office in response to these potential regulation updates reads, "It is unfortunate that this rule could adversely impact the longstanding tradition of young people having the opportunity to work on farms to gain valuable skills and lessons on hard work, character, and leadership. I think it’s unconscionable for the federal government to interfere with the prospect of a new generation learning and gaining hands-on skills in agriculture."

It continues, "This is just another example of unnecessary government intrusion and I will work hard to make sure young people have the continued opportunities to work on farms and ranches."

The purposed rules were published in the Federal Register back in September, which sparked over 18,000 public comments. The rules would not apply to children working at farms that their parents owned, but would apply to doing work at farms of neighbors or relatives.Miller responds to proposed child farm labor changes
Wednesday, April 25 2012, 05:40 PM CDT

actual link: WEAR ABC 3 :: Top Stories - Miller responds to proposed child farm labor changes

See less See more
#2 ·
Last 2 sound quite reasonable to me.

#3 ·
THANK YOU for posting this. I am a member of Champaign County Farm Bureau. This is NOT the first time I've heard of this. There is a country saying--Farm kids get off of their tractors and into the Driver's Ed cars. Farm families DEPEND on their children and relatives to get their crops in. Stupid actors/entertainers like to pretend that they are the hardest working people on the planet bc movies/shows put time deadlines on their performances. The FARMERS race the weather to sow and harvest. I really watch the crossroads during these times bc oftentimes they are driving tired and blow through stop signs. They NEED the help they get. This bill will restrict it. In between both they maintain equipment, mow their properties, and maybe take care of a few head of livestock, and they need their kids for this, too.
We cannot allow MORE regulation on Family Farms. Family farmers are the BEST stewards of farmland. When the family farms sell out the farm corporations buy/use their land and wear it out.
Consider: If the government can prevent THIS, the will use it as a PRECENDENCE (a law term, for those in Rio Linda) to prevent our children from riding and helping take care of our horses, too.

#4 ·
Corporal, I think the other one came out about a year ago and was something about the age and paying for labor (I may be wrong though). I do think first 2 statements should be questioned (possibly by petition). I still think "no cell phones while on power equipment" should be there.

#5 ·
I could've sworn when I read the proposed bill awhile ago that children of the farm owner would be excempt. Sort of like your kids don't need a work permit only if they're working for you.

I'll have to try & find that again tonight when I get home.
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
I could've sworn when I read the proposed bill awhile ago that children of the farm owner would be excempt. Sort of like your kids don't need a work permit only if they're working for you.

I'll have to try & find that again tonight when I get home.
Posted via Mobile Device
It is in the bottem sentence.

The rules would not apply to children working at farms that their parents owned, but would apply to doing work at farms of neighbors or relatives.

#6 ·
Val, concerning the last two, relative to 20 years ago - there is very little tobacco grown in this country. The only "kids" doing it would be on a family allotment - which would mean - very small total number. I live where the rattlers are thick, thick, thick...yet there is no law prohibiting children from picking weeds.

As to the cell, the county I live in has no ban on cell phones (one is in place inside city limits, and that was recent) and there are plenty of places the speed limit is 75 mph. But they are worried about the tiny number of kids on tractors going 10 mph?

Trooper...good point about horses!!! Exactly, small farms almost all rely on their own children and relatives.

#8 ·
Val, concerning the last two, relative to 20 years ago - there is very little tobacco grown in this country.
Is it indeed dangerous? I know nothing about tobacco and growing it, so just curious.

In MD you are not allowed to use cell phone (or especially texting) when driving, doesn't matter how fast. I do think cell phone distracts a lot, and I'm sure it's even worse for younger people. I know tractor is just 10 mph, but the breeder of my paint (in his 70th, farmer all his life) was killed by tractor. Equipment IS equipment and can kill unfortunately. Imagine situation when the kid is on phone (talking or texting) and someone jumps in front of the tractor....

#9 ·
For those interested, this is the proposed update
WHD News Release: US Labor Department proposes updates to child labor regulations [08/31/2011]

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it…but I don't see the need for it either, which is my concern. I say this because I come from a rural background and it is common for farms to help each other out without actually employing anyone. My concern is that the govt could use this proposal as an excuse to come onto your farm for reasons other than what they tell you.

#10 ·
  • Youths cannot use electronic devices such as cellphones while operating power-driven equipment.
This is well-worded. TOO MANY cell-phone restrictions are too specific to cell phones, without understanding that technology will be producing more and different technology that will distract, in the future. ANYthing that distracts you while anyone is operating heavy equipment becomes dangerous.

"This is just another example of unnecessary government intrusion and I will work hard to make sure young people have the continued opportunities to work on farms and ranches."
Our government has become Big Brother. Getting rid of unneccessary legislation is a move away from this extreme.

#11 ·
They aren't talking about kids that live on farms and are in the families of farmers. They are talking about kids that are being PAID to work in these locations. Am I correct? If that's the case, it's just standard safety stuff..

Reactions: dbarabians
#15 · (Edited)
They aren't talking about kids that live on farms and are in the families of farmers. They are talking about kids that are being PAID to work in these locations. Am I correct? If that's the case, it's just standard safety stuff..
No, it would apply to your nephew, neice, cousin - what-not. The only exception is your own child.

#17 ·
This legislation is only extending to farm workers the same safety precuations used by other industries. With the number of migrant workers who are underage this may have merit.
My family owns over 2400 acres and we lease another 1000. We raise cattle, wheat corn and hay. I have horses.
We employ 2 full time workers and hire 3 partime during harvest and other times.
We do not hire anyone under the age of 16 and they are supervised at all times by either myself or Jesus and Miquel.
allowing a minor to operate machinery that can cost 10's of thousands of $'s is questionable any way.
This will never be enforecable, as most youth who work on farms are paid under the table. Shalom

#23 ·
This legislation is only extending to farm workers the same safety precuations used by other industries. With the number of migrant workers who are underage this may have merit.
My family owns over 2400 acres and we lease another 1000. We raise cattle, wheat corn and hay. I have horses.
We employ 2 full time workers and hire 3 partime during harvest and other times.
We do not hire anyone under the age of 16 and they are supervised at all times by either myself or Jesus and Miquel.
allowing a minor to operate machinery that can cost 10's of thousands of $'s is questionable any way.
This will never be enforecable, as most youth who work on farms are paid under the table. Shalom
what other industries are you talking about?? i don't see any other industry that is run the same as farming/ranching... so why should they have to follow rules based on another industry standards?

and yes its already a law for children 16 and above can handle farm equipment but there are loop holes.. they need there farmers license or so its called in my neck of the woods..but i honsetly don't know of any child in a rural area that isn't already driving by the age of 14 obvisously not on the roads but on there parents property or friends property. around me neighbors and family help eachother whether the help is asked for or not. basic things like cutting a front lawn or pasture with john deer lawn tractor, driving hay and/or water on quads or gators to the animals pens the little things like this is what will be majorly effecting the farmers who have a great support system so that they can save alittle money and have a decent life... but then again government comes in and trys to make us even poorer then we already are. imo

From what I read I do9nt think they are saying family owned they are saying if kids are hired (nonfamily) and paid they cannot operate tractors or machinery. Its a huge liability for those who do the hiring and OSHA has alot to say about it. All the rest is safety first. I dont see anything wrong with these new changes it just protects the kids.

how much more protection are we going ot give the kids of our society?? there are so many protection laws out there that are just forcing childlren to rely on others rather than teaching them responsibilty and hard work and doing things themselves.

If this goes through our local livestock auction will likely go bankrupt and close down. The small animals and the motor vehicles for sale are all handled by the children of the families that own it. I don't see why a teenager cannot handle sheep, goats and hogs that basically run through the auction themselves, they just need a bit of directing.

and thats the sad thing with our justice system. common sense gets thrown out the window and then people blame others for there stupidity and get away with it... then other stupid people keep following in the footsteps so that no one is ever held accountable for there own actions! very sad imo

#18 ·
From what I read I do9nt think they are saying family owned they are saying if kids are hired (nonfamily) and paid they cannot operate tractors or machinery. Its a huge liability for those who do the hiring and OSHA has alot to say about it. All the rest is safety first. I dont see anything wrong with these new changes it just protects the kids.

#19 ·
If this goes through our local livestock auction will likely go bankrupt and close down. The small animals and the motor vehicles for sale are all handled by the children of the families that own it. I don't see why a teenager cannot handle sheep, goats and hogs that basically run through the auction themselves, they just need a bit of directing.

#21 · (Edited)
Okay, out of curiosity, I looked up the current rules…(link below)... and anyone UNDER 16 cannot operate "power-driven" equipment according to current law anyway…OVER 16 can.

What is odd to me is that the "updates" are more concerned with trivial stuff such as cell phone use and handling tobacco than they are some of the REALLY hazardous jobs 16 and 17 year olds can do- check them out, especially HO/A #10!

elaws - Fair Labor Standards Act Advisor

#24 ·
Okay, out of curiosity, I looked up the current rules…(link below)... and anyone UNDER 16 cannot operate "power-driven" equipment according to current law anyway…OVER 16 can.

What is odd to me is that the "updates" are more concerned with trivial stuff such as cell phone use and handling tobacco than they are some of the REALLY hazardous jobs 16 and 17 year olds can do- check them out, especially HO/A #10!

elaws - Fair Labor Standards Act Advisor
The proposed changes would not apply to your own children, but they would apply to "relatives". This, as someone else pointed out, would give the government a reason to come on any private small farm. And, it is "unclear" if that applies only to paid relatives.

I cannot find the statistics that prompted any of the "changes". I think they have far more to address when it comes to youth safety than someone's relation working on their farm.

#26 · (Edited)
It's just another instance of the government knowing better what is best for us than we ourselves do.

Put otherwise, just another infringement on our freedom to make our own choices.

Put yet again otherwise, it is an infringement on our rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Here's a newsflash - I know what is best for me, what is best for my family, and am perfectly capable of making my own decisions. Uncle Sam, you are not needed, wanted, or welcome in my life. Try doing what you are mandated to do and aren't, then sit down and STFU...

ETA...haha...have to laugh at the editor...didn't exactly say "be quiet"...

#28 ·
Here's a newsflash - I know what is best for me, what is best for my family, and am perfectly capable of making my own decisions. Uncle Sam, you are not needed, wanted, or welcome in my life. Try doing what you are mandated to do and aren't, then sit down and STFU...
FM, unfortunately you can't go around Uncle Sam and (often) really stupid rules you have to obey.

What makes this particular one quite appalling to me is that there are SO many problems the administration has to look into/solve (especially in situation the country is in now), and instead they go with some stupid stuff that bring no good for anyone.

#29 ·
For me it seems like some kind of attempt to try to protect children and childhood. I cannot comment more if that's good or not since I don't know conditions well enough but have seen that this gap between reality and theory happening. The gov tries to apply something that looks good on paper but doesn't actually face with reality.

About tobacco, may it's cultural issue but I can understand that, especially if there's some possibility to get sick. I also feel odd about some minor dealing with tobacco at all since it's strictly forbidden here. They try to protect minors from getting touch with tobacco and becoming smokers.

#30 ·
Children under 18 cannot work at grain elevators, silos, feedlots and livestock auctions and cannot transport raw farm materials.

This is the one that REALLY gets me! Haven't you all seen kids riding horses at livestock auctions in the ring? Best darn horsemen out there! They can make a real ****** look dead broke, trust me, I've been fooled! LOL!
Most of the ones I know who do it are family friends, etc. Those kids chase hogs, sheep, wrangle chickens and do a fine job. What better experience can you give a FFA?

Faceman said it again all too well. I'm sure we can figure it out ourselves, we not stuipd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.