The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Member Journals (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/)
-   -   Let's take this one day at a time. I'll hold your hand if you hold mine. (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/lets-take-one-day-time-ill-121427/)

sporthorsegirl 04-26-2012 06:18 PM

Let's take this one day at a time. I'll hold your hand if you hold mine.

4/26/12

For the past two months, I have been writing in this journal:

http://www.horseforum.com/member-jou...ll-you-112616/

That chapter in my life has come to a close, and I am beginning a new one. One with Centenario, as long as we get along :wink: Centenario is a 10 year old andalusian/lusitano stallion. He is my lease horse, as of this weekend/next week. He has some dressage training, not sure what level he's at. I guess I'll figure it out as I go. I'm planning on doing a lot of groundwork with him, as I think that is one of the best ways to bond with a horse.

Let's take this one day at a time. I'll hold your hand if you hold mine.

Cacowgirl 04-27-2012 06:00 PM

Wishing you luck w/your new project. Is he going to be kept as a stud?

sporthorsegirl 04-27-2012 06:05 PM

Thanks cacowgirl :) He will be gelded hopefully sooner rather than later as the owners don't plan on breeding him again. And I prefer geldings :)
Posted via Mobile Device

sporthorsegirl 04-30-2012 01:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
4/29

Went to see Centenario yesterday and today. Both sessions went pretty well, both were groundwork. He can get a bit pushy when leading, but he's learning. He's also a bit stiff with backing, but I think we made some progress. He also thinks the spray bottle is a monster, so I desensitized him to that. Went pretty well, he only reacted to it for a few minutes.

I took these pictures of him yesterday.

WesternBella 04-30-2012 01:04 AM

Subbing
Posted via Mobile Device

gunslinger 05-02-2012 10:23 PM

My mare hates the spray bottle too. I've been using wipe.

What did you do to desensitize him?

sporthorsegirl 05-03-2012 05:40 PM

5/3

I use this method (this video is just a gist of it) for desensitizing

I rode Centenario the other day. Still just walk and trot. Mostly because the Des (BO and owner of Centenario, see my previous journal) won't leave me be. Thinks she knows everything... Just makes me angry. Yeah, I've heard it a billion times, she's just trying to help. I know that, that's why I just have to nod my head politely and say "Yeah" whenever she talks to me. It doesn't help that Centenario is her horse, or that she's the BO and she can kick me out if she wants to. Just smile and tolerate it...

Anyway... This morning I went up and did some groundwork with him (Des was at work) and he did pretty well. I free lunged him and then worked a little on him getting out of my space. No one has taught him to move his front end (forequarters) away, only his hindquarters. He did two cross steps over, so that was some progress. He yields his hindquarters nicely.

Probably more groundwork tomorrow.

sporthorsegirl 05-11-2012 05:03 AM

5/11

Yeah. I know. It's been awhile. It seems like the time is passing so quickly I can feel it slipping out of my hands. Gone. Why things aren't in slow motion like they usually are, I don't know. It's like someone shifted gears in my brain. I'm just trying to do what I can. Eat (not enough). Sleep (hardly at all). Go to work (all weekend). Go to the barn (I need to ride more often).

One of the gypsy mares at the barn had filly a few days ago. She's really cute. She likes me. I don't know why. I'm just happy she does. She isn't mine. They named her Porsche. I named her Clove.

Progress has been made with Centenario, better ground manners. Stops next to me when leading 90% of the time. Turns in when asked during free lunging 80% of the time.

Haven't ridden him since... When was it. A week and a half, almost two weeks. I miss riding like I used to (a couple years ago). Around this time, I would have been getting ready for pre-fair (4-h), memorizing my showmanship and equitation patterns.

^^Eventually, you forget most of the bad things and just remember what you want to. It's nice. The good memories are stronger than the bad ones. It used to be the other way around. That's what makes you miss it.

With the time passing so quickly comes a feeling of panic. If I stay on this course, I will graduate in two years. I'll be eighteen. But after that... I don't know. I need to go to college (that's not optional), but I have things keeping me here. The horses, my dogs. My chihuahua is my best friend, she's been there for me more than any human ever has or ever cared to.

But I know I have to get out of here eventually. Go further east, even if it's still in this state.

This is kind of weird (especially for me) but I can't help thinking about when I'll meet a guy. A good one. I know, I know, you say I have time. But I don't feel like I do. I mean, I wouldn't ever rush into anything, but I could just use some reassurance. I can't think of a better word. I want someone to be there for me :hug:... That sounds better. Maybe if I was a "normal" person I would just keep hoping the right guy will just come along, but I know if I stay here it won't be like that. I don't know. It's all very confusing. And very distracting :-|. It used to be that whenever I was daydreaming, it would be about horses, maybe owning my own business. Now, not so much :rofl:. Of course, I have to keep telling myself I'm a teenager and that's what teenagers are. But I've always felt so much older than I really am, that's hard for me to accept. That I'm just another teenager.

I watched Donnie Darko about a week ago. It's been messing with my head :lol: I watched it one night and then again the next night. I've decided that it's one of the best movies I've ever seen. It was oddly relatable to me, and the dialogue was great.

Let's see, what else have I seen in the past week... Jarhead (loved it), Brokeback Mountain (liked it), The Good Girl (really liked it), and tonight I saw Brothers (liked it). It's nice to finally watch movies again. I usually just stick to tv, but I needed something different. And it's been nice.

Skyseternalangel 05-11-2012 05:14 AM

I love Donnie Darko! Any reason you haven't ridden him since a week or so?

You MUST get pictures of Clove (Porsche for a baby just doesn't fly atm...) and share them :)

Nothing wrong with being a teenager and wanting a guy, it's important.

Hahaha I watched Brokeback Mountain with my friend and her girlfriend (didn't know they were lesbians) so it was a dose of double awkward hilarity but it was a good movie. Little messed up that he threw his marriage out the window though.. makes me leery of men. Especially after reading some Cosmo lately!

I think your future is bright :) Just gotta go out there and seize it when the time comes!

sporthorsegirl 05-11-2012 05:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1495276)
I love Donnie Darko! Any reason you haven't ridden him since a week or so?

You MUST get pictures of Clove (Porsche for a baby just doesn't fly atm...) and share them :)

Nothing wrong with being a teenager and wanting a guy, it's important.

Hahaha I watched Brokeback Mountain with my friend and her girlfriend (didn't know they were lesbians) so it was a dose of double awkward hilarity but it was a good movie. Little messed up that he threw his marriage out the window though.. makes me leery of men. Especially after reading some Cosmo lately!

I think your future is bright :) Just gotta go out there and seize it when the time comes!

Definitely one of my all time favorite movies :D There really isn't a good reason why I haven't ridden him... I'm still getting to know him. I'm going to try and ride him more often though, it'll be good for him and me.

I'm just waiting for the right guy to come along... I'm hoping fate will help me :-)

I'm glad I watched it by myself, I could actually focus on the story and not on any awkwardness there would have been in the room :lol: Yeah, I didn't really like the ending, I was kind of hoping it would be a little lighter but it was still good.

As requested, here are a few pictures of Clove, all on the first day she was born :D