The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Equine Canada instructor certification (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/equine-canada-instructor-certification-121511/)

Koolio 04-27-2012 11:03 AM

Equine Canada instructor certification

Has anyone here gone through the instructor certification through equine Canada? My daughter wants to eventually be certified to teach riding lessons and we are trying to find a good coach and the best way for her to become qualified and certified to do so. Looking at the EQ curriculum, she is probably riding at about a level 6 or 7. She has been riding with various instructors for 8-9 years. For 4 of those years she has been riding a difficult / "green" horse, so not dead broke lesson horses. Her previous instruction has been mainly English pleasure with some dressage and a bit of low level jumping (2'6") She's coming up 17.

We have 4 horses at home and can trailer to a stable. There are lots around here. We are looking for a good coach, but most offer lessons that are either geared towards those who want to compete or towards very novice riders. Does anyone have any suggestions of what qualities we should look for or questions to ask potential coaches? There is an EC level 3 coach in the area with a good reputation who's emphasis is eventing. Would someone like that be suitable?

The EC route seems tok be clearly layer out with a structured curriculum and rigorous testing. Is this the best approach or are there others?

~*~anebel~*~ 04-27-2012 11:29 AM

In general, most certification programs are not looked upon with great regard by a lot of people (or maybe that's just me and those I know lol). My coach doesn't have a single certification however she has been praised by international competitors and clinicians on her ability to coach and has multiple students, most of them Adult Amateurs, riding successfully at the FEI levels.
The only benefit of a certification program for someone just starting out is that your name will be listed and searchable on the certifiers website and they'll at least have something to advertise when looking for clients.

The best thing that anyone can do who wants to slog through the tough life that is being a trainer or instructor or coach is to find a coach with an existing business, put on your big girl panties and go work your butt off working 16 hour days learning the "how-tos" of the business and of horses. Most trainers who are now successful spent years upon years upon years under high level, well respected trainers and coaches, and are still receiving regular coaching themselves. You never stop learning, and there will always be a horse or student who absolutely stumps you, so having YOUR coach to help you is the biggest asset you can have.
Find a good coach who will take her on as a working student, she will soon figure out if it's really the life for her.

Good luck!

Crisha 05-03-2012 04:03 PM

Maybe she should try to find a position as a working student during the summermonths for starters. Ask the EC level 3 coach you mentioned about that, she might be taking her in or at least recommend another place.

Koolio 05-03-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisha (Post 1484529)
Maybe she should try to find a position as a working student during the summermonths for starters. Ask the EC level 3 coach you mentioned about that, she might be taking her in or at least recommend another place.

Thanks for the advice. This is something she is looking in to but she is not ready to enter a working student program for at least another year and bit. We did meet with the coach and the coach did a horse / rider assessment. It was in incredibly productive process as the coach was able to give excellent feedback about my daughters riding ability as well as good guidance on how she can deal with her "problem" horse. We have committed to lessons with this coach and plan to continue for at least the next year. After my daughter graduates, she may apply for the working student program at the stable if she is still committed to this career possibility.