The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique please: second level dressage test (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-please-second-level-dressage-test-121572/)

Crisha 04-27-2012 10:22 PM

Critique please: second level dressage test

Hey everyone. Since I've been riding without a coach for a while I thought I post this video. Please let me know what you think. Every comment is appreciated.:-)

I just hope the link works, I am really new with this....:?

redape49 04-27-2012 10:34 PM

very pretty horse. From what I see is that your leg needs to be more solid. Also it's hard to really tell, but try to sit relaxed on your seat bones and avoid from sitting on your pubic bone. Looking pretty nice without an instructor though =)

tinyliny 04-27-2012 10:53 PM

I think you are doing exceedingly well without an instructor. Looks like a few times your horse didn't have the impulsion you might have liked. I did not see your leg as lacking solidity. I really don'thave much advice, as I ride at alower level than yourself.

Skyseternalangel 04-27-2012 10:56 PM

Will watch later, and your link works fine.

Welcome to the horse forum! :)

core 04-28-2012 10:23 AM

Going to the left, shoulder in - he looks hard on the right rein. It may help to (during practice) to counter flex him just slightly to the right to remind him not to lean on that rein.

Loved the start of the free walk, but he kind of lost his focus around X. If it were my horse I would've squeezed with both calves and a bit of a squeeze on the reins to remind her to follow the bit.

Canter depart, left - sucks that he was poo'ing right then. Horse was too heavy on the forehand in the depart, and you used a bit too much hand (looked like to stop the head from going up). Try practicing canter departs from a shoulder-in or haunches in. I've found the shoulder in to the right then asking for the depart helps because my horse wants to lean on the right shoulder and the shoulder in helps get her more honestly onto the outside rein. I have the opposite issue to the left, so the haunches in works better that way.

Second canter depart (start of counter canter) - you threw yourself foreword. I'm having that issue. Keep a mental check on what you're doing with your upper body during the departs. The shoulder-in/haunches-in to canter depart exercise may help you stay more upright during the departs.

I love your horse! What a gorgeous boy. And overall you are a very lovely rider. Your seat needs a bit more work and you tend to get a bit off balance during transistions. I think you could really help your balance issues by getting your lower leg more under you. Position wise the lower leg isn't bad, but you tend to draw your heel up and that affects balance. I'm not sure what would help fix that for you, but what is helping me is to pretend to stand up in your stirrups (butt still in the saddle). In order for me to do that I have to bring my body taller and my weight shifts more into a line straight down my hips. Normally I ride with my weight more back toward my bum and that prevents my weight from being able to drop down through my legs as effectively.

You are doing a fantastic job. You're definitely on the right track. Great job!

Btw, what'd you get on the test?
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 04-28-2012 10:39 AM

I am only a beginner but I did notice that despite how beautifully he did all that you asked of him, your arms were very stiff up until you began to pick up the canter. And at the beginning (when you begun your test) you seemed to have had some trouble keeping your leg stretched down into your stirrup.. maybe it's a half hole too long?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, as I am still learning myself. Hoping that anebel or Kayty provides a critique so I can learn a few things :)

Beautiful riding though

Crisha 04-28-2012 11:45 AM

Wow what a response, thank you all so very much!!You guys are awesome!:D

Thanks for all the compliments for my horse, he is such a good boy and always tries his best. He can be sensitive, though and a bit of an overachiever.
So I really need to work on sitting a little quieter! Thanks, redape49, you saw that,eh? Do you know of any exercises/hints to keep the leg still without piching? I do ride a lot without stirrups.
Thank you tinyliny, for your comment, sometimes lack of impulsion is mentioned in our commentsheets. I try to improve that with lots of transitions, any other idea?
Wow, core, you really took the time to watch it closely and wrote a lot. Thank you so very much! And thank you for all what you wrote about my seat, I really miss those corrections. And you gave me nice exercises to work on, too!!! I really like the idea of pretending(!) to stand in the stirrup, maybe that helps with the wobbly leg, too. And thanks for reminding me about the upper body in the transitions (stretch up not forward and not back!).
I did get 77% in the test, but it was a schooling show with a VERY genereous judge, so :wink:
And skysesternalangel (love your name!), thank you for reminding me to keep the arms soft! This is something, that happens when we get tense- so breathe, relax, maybe do some armcircles :-)
And thanks for the warm welcome!

Once again thank you all so much, I very much appreciate all your comments and I am very thankful for all your advices! You're the best! :hug:

Skyseternalangel 04-28-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crisha (Post 1476570)
Wow what a response, thank you all so very much!!You guys are awesome!:D
And skysesternalangel (love your name!), thank you for reminding me to keep the arms soft! This is something, that happens when we get tense- so breathe, relax, maybe do some armcircles :-)
And thanks for the warm welcome!

Once again thank you all so much, I very much appreciate all your comments and I am very thankful for all your advices! You're the best! :hug:

You're very welcome! I'm happy you feel so welcomed on the forum! If you need anything, just let us know.

And thanks haha,