The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   possible gelding purchase (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/possible-gelding-purchase-121596/)

CQTAN 04-28-2012 03:45 AM

possible gelding purchase

Hi guys ,

I am currently looking at purchasing this gelding and would love your opinion on the boy .....horrid picture but the only one i have for now as it is raining cats and dogs....any thoughts on him are welcomed :-P

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/g...ilookingat.jpg

soenjer55 04-28-2012 03:59 AM

My first question.... what are you planning to do with him?

CQTAN 04-28-2012 04:08 AM

Firstly a little confidence building and then on to dressage hopefully , he is 8 yrs old
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiilaa 04-28-2012 04:36 AM

I personally don't like him for dressage. He is quite long through the back, which is not making it easy for him to get his bum under himself. He also looks quite weak through the loins, and may have a touch of a roach to his back (that may be a trick of the light).

soenjer55 04-28-2012 04:43 AM

As much as I'd like to give you something, I think it will be better to wait until you get a better picture :( well, I'll give it a go anyway, although it could be wrong!

He seems to have good bone and sky-high withers, short canons and short pasterns, his back legs look a little funky to me- sickle hocked, I think?, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I see a hunter's bump, he has a steep croup and a high-set tail. His shoulder looks rather straight to me, and his feet have no heels. He looks like he's probably limited in his movement from his shoulder. I don't quite know if he's a bit roach-backed or just really lacking a top line. I think his throat latch looks nice though, although this picture doesn't tell much lol. I'm not sure he's the best candidate for dressage, although I'm no expert. I guess this'll just have to tide you over until someone more knowledgeable comes along. :)
On the bright side, he reminds me of my old horse! Cute! I like his face, or what I can see of it lol!

CQTAN 04-28-2012 06:50 PM

I think that he would make a good dressage horse for the fact that he has the hieght - hes 16.3 hh and is all muscle that is lean but he is quite a fatty. Although this is a bad pic, what type of discpline do you guys think he would be good at ? I picked up that he needs to get a l.il more heel on those hooves too, and that his high wither looks ultra sky high, i was impressed with his neck but i think he needs to build it a lil more, building some topline wouldnt be a problem with him i dont think as he loves any attention.

soenjer55 04-29-2012 07:46 PM

Is it possible to get better pictures of him any time? Suggesting a discipline with this picture is kind of a shot in the dark. He sounds like he has a good personality, so that's a plus.

Chopsticks 04-29-2012 08:08 PM

agree with soejner, anyone who says anythign about what this horse is good for based on this photo is just spitting in the wind. need vids and real photos to even begin to speculate.

CQTAN 05-07-2012 04:24 PM

this gelding ended up being terribly wrong in all aspects - we went out there - he was a biter, and was not the 16 odd hands that she said he was , he had just had his feet trimmed and they cut his toes to short and he had no heel what so ever- he was that bad that he was walking on his frogs- he has something wrong with his back and he had stifle lock - the lady that owned him said to me - hes fine just take him for a ride - i refused and told her that she needs a vet to look at his feet and his back and that she needs to find a way to get a chiro out to him for his back and sort something out in regards to pain managment for his stifle lock - this boy was soooooo sore. :( god i hope she gets him the help he needs.

soenjer55 05-07-2012 11:25 PM

Oh, wow, that sounds bad- I hope that horse gets help... I really hope the woman gets him what he needs. :(
Good luck on your continued horse search, keep us updated, too!