The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Has anyone used quitex?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/has-anyone-used-quitex-121612/)

HorsesAreForever 04-28-2012 09:45 AM

Has anyone used quitex??

So right now my mare is on Calm/Cool supplement as well as neigh-lox.. due to having stress induced ulcers... Im thinking about taking her to a centered riding clinic.. I was debating on putting some quitex into her 2-4 hours before the trailer ride.. shes not hot or hard to handle.. its just to help her relax.. half the time you cant even tell shes worried.. which is why I was so suprised she was diagnosed with it..but the main reason I made this post was to get opinions on quitex.

Have you use it? How did it work??

FreeDestiny 04-28-2012 09:50 AM

Quietex? I think its called.....

We used it on my friends mare a couple times, does the job, but give her time to get it out of her system before really working her. If she's all doped up on calm-vibes, she might not be the most intent on working (just from personal experience!).

If you're going to calm her before hauling, test out how she responds to the product a couple weeks beforehand, some horses will just become relaxed, some will become unstable and therefore unsafe to haul.

Hope I helped somewhat. :s
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 04-28-2012 03:28 PM

I tried and it didn't work for my mare. Neither Calm & Cool. The effect of any calmer very much depends on horse. If you really want to know try it once before your trip to see if it helps at all.

AmazinCaucasian 04-28-2012 04:04 PM

Pretty silly to use stuff like that. Just a costly gimmick that substitutes real training. If you want what's best for your horse, get em broke and get em over things that cause them stress. They'll be a happier, more relaxed horse all the time.

The thing is, it's not hard to get a horse broke. Doesn't even take any formal training. Just expose them to things that might bother them. Don't shelter them from scary things. They are very adaptive animals and they're much safer and more comfortable when you just let them get over their fears.

Sorry if it sounds rude. I just don't agree with tranquilizing or sedating a horse for everyday things that they should accept

kitten_Val 04-28-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian (Post 1476855)
Pretty silly to use stuff like that. Just a costly gimmick that substitutes real training. If you want what's best for your horse, get em broke and get em over things that cause them stress. They'll be a happier, more relaxed horse all the time.

True for some horses. Untrue for others. Some horses (even with all the training and work) put selves in constant stress that may cause ulcers etc. Supplements just take the edge off for such animals.

P.S. I'm not talking about my own mares because they don't need a calmer. But I know some (mostly higher level show horses) that need it.

HorsesAreForever 05-02-2012 07:33 PM

It has nothing to do with training... she internalizes her stress which is what caused her ulcers.. ... regardless I didnt end up using it.. and she did great! Never a worried look in her face. :)