The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Flies! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/flies-121658/)

luv2ride 04-28-2012 07:57 PM

Flies!

We had a mild winter this year and an early spring. The flies are horrible. I've tried many different fly sprays from Bronco to Endure, nothing seems to work. I've had several old timers around here suggest a sulfer salt block to help with them. Has anyone else heard of this?
My poor mare is being bitten very badly. She is on 2 acres of pasture. Right now I'm spraying her with permythin (I know it's spelled wrong) concentrate that I mix up it works ok but needs to be put on daily. This was also suggested by people who live around here in SE Oklahoma.

its lbs not miles 04-28-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2ride (Post 1477090)
We had a mild winter this year and an early spring. The flies are horrible. I've tried many different fly sprays from Bronco to Endure, nothing seems to work. I've had several old timers around here suggest a sulfer salt block to help with them. Has anyone else heard of this?
My poor mare is being bitten very badly. She is on 2 acres of pasture. Right now I'm spraying her with permythin (I know it's spelled wrong) concentrate that I mix up it works ok but needs to be put on daily. This was also suggested by people who live around here in SE Oklahoma.

For the flies there is a tiny wasp (really tiny) that is a fly predator and does a good job. Fortunately they can be ordered in sufficient numbers to get started and with a good supply of prey they multiply quickly. They won't get them all, but they can significantly reduce the numbers.

Mosqitos are a different story. Plenty of good pedators for them (dragon fly, etc...), but not a good supplier for significant numbers of them.

I have a spray that works pretty well for a couple of days. I only use it after the mosquitos get bad, although it repells everything, but don't recal the name of the top of my head. The little wasps take care of the majority of the flies (and they work all day, ever day :lol:).

Skyseternalangel 04-28-2012 09:45 PM

Pyranah Spray N Wipe (or something like that) works really well but it is not good to put a lot of it on your horse.

Have you tried skin so soft? That apparently works too.

If all else fails, fly mask and sheet or at least put some SWAT on the underside of their barrel from between their legs all the way to the umbilical cord scar (or just before their privates.)

This is just an idea (so PLEASE research it or something..) but those OFF things repel mosquitoes and flies.. maybe see if it's safe to attach one close to the barn or water bucket or something to keep them away?

caseymyhorserocks 04-29-2012 09:48 PM

Fly predators.
What are Fly Predators - Fly Control by Spalding Labs

mikes 04-29-2012 11:19 PM

I agree with both posts try the fly predators and the skin so soft see what works for you.

mikes 05-29-2012 05:56 PM

Have you had any luck with the fly predator? Hoping to hear from you.

kim_angel 05-29-2012 06:11 PM

I''ve been using Mosquito Halt and its actually working!

mikes 06-15-2012 09:44 AM

Kim, you are actually using Mosquito Halt for fly predators? Sounds like it is for mosquitoes. Where did you get it?

MHFoundation Quarters 06-15-2012 09:48 AM

I love predators! As far as fly spray goes, I've only found one in the last 20 years that actually works.

Fly and Mosquito Product Information

Speed Racer 06-15-2012 09:51 AM

Be very careful of using any kind of spray if you have fly predators. It'll kill them, too!

This is my second year using predators, and I'm very pleased with the results. Of course, I have baited traps for the types of flies not affected by the predators.