The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   His feet are falling apart. I need help! (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/his-feet-falling-apart-i-need-121694/)

riddlerismyboi 04-29-2012 02:37 AM

His feet are falling apart. I need help!

Hello, I need help! My horse, Riddler, has been known to have really bad feet, he is the master at loosing shoes or having bad feet.
I haven't been able to ride him for a week or two now and we have been using Hoof Alive which I'm guessing is working.
Today was this first time out in the pasture after a week of stall rest, I come back a little later only to find out that he lost his left shoe and his hoof cracked. It looks like it was over grown and had split. Lets just say its really gross. :cry: He has no trush or infection coming along, its just the waether playing with us where we live! But, the way it kinda 'broke' would be an easy fix for the farrier when he comes out in a couple of days. I just want him to be pain free and able to enjoy himself.
Will his hooves do this everytime the weather changes(hot-cold, cold-hot)?

michaelvanessa 04-29-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riddlerismyboi (Post 1477622)
Hello, I need help! My horse, Riddler, has been known to have really bad feet, he is the master at loosing shoes or having bad feet.
I haven't been able to ride him for a week or two now and we have been using Hoof Alive which I'm guessing is working.
Today was this first time out in the pasture after a week of stall rest, I come back a little later only to find out that he lost his left shoe and his hoof cracked. It looks like it was over grown and had split. Lets just say its really gross. :cry: He has no trush or infection coming along, its just the waether playing with us where we live! But, the way it kinda 'broke' would be an easy fix for the farrier when he comes out in a couple of days. I just want him to be pain free and able to enjoy himself.
Will his hooves do this everytime the weather changes(hot-cold, cold-hot)?

hiya does you horses paddock get muddy and has he pulled a shoe taken a lump out the side wall were the clinches were does your horse overreach i think turning your horse out in bell boots mite help when you say he is in pain is that now or after being shod has he had laminitus did he tread on a nail from an old shoe if you talk to your farrier he mite advise you and when he is there ask him for advice and find out were the white line is and ask if he has flat feet instead of concave were the frog is
or the other thing that mite help is asking a vet for visiting if you had some pictures of the foot to see what is going on its difficalt to say whats going on all sides of the hoof soal .

Skyseternalangel 04-29-2012 08:09 PM

OP, how long has your horse been having poor feet/losing shoes?

Also how long has your horse been on Hoof Alive?

Also what has your farrier told you?

loosie 04-30-2012 04:07 AM

Hi,

Some pictures(check out the link in my signature) & more information would be helpful. Diet & nutrition are big factors, as is management, such as environment, work, how frequent the farrier visits, how long since last visit, how long he's been kept shod without a break, etc.

While overly wet footing is not great for horse's hooves - they're evolved for a more arid environment - changes of weather don't otherwise have much to do with hoof health.

If the Hoof Alive is a nutritional supplement, that may be helpful, but it will talk a bare minimum of around 6 months before you start seeing any changes from it. If it's a topical hoof dressing, I wouldn't bother. Hoof goops can make them look a little prettier, but don't do anything much for the health of hooves. Depending on type & other circumstances can actually work against hoof health.

Why was your horse on box rest? Of course there are reasons why this is necessary, but it's best for their health to avoid cooping them up if at all possible. Free movement & firm footing is also helpful for hoof health.

While there are many possible reasons why his feet could be so bad, IMO keeping a horse in that condition shod is contraindicative and it would help him to be kept without shoes & well managed until his feet can become healthy & strong at least. Hoof boots are one option for riding if he needs protection on the footing you work him on.

loosie 04-30-2012 04:10 AM

Michaelvanessa, it's difficult to read when there's no punctuation.

Nitefeatherz 04-30-2012 04:30 AM

I have to agree with Loosie- if a poster can't be bothered with punctuation I can't be bothered to read the post.

OP does he lose his shoes at a single time of the year or all year long? Is it any particular season that he starts losing shoes? How frequently does he lose them?

Also how frequently do you have your farrier out to see him?