The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Creep Feeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/creep-feeding-121749/)

benson2008 04-29-2012 03:41 PM

Creep Feeding
 
I need as much advice on creep feeding as possible. What age, what feed, how much and how ??? Thank you.

Ripper 04-29-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benson2008 (Post 1478326)
I need as much advice on creep feeding as possible. What age, what feed, how much and how ??? Thank you.

I fed my own sweet feed...it was near Purina.

Most foals were eating good at one week.

I feed free choice for about a year.

Poseidon 04-29-2012 04:28 PM

What is the point of feeding sweet feed to a foal so young? And free choice at that. IMO, a foal only needs access to quality hay, water, and minerals.

FaydesMom 04-29-2012 04:29 PM

The easiest way is to find a small "creep feeder" tub at the feed store. Just hang it near where you feed the mare, down low enough for baby to reach. Put some of the mares feed in the little feeder for the baby to try. They are very inquisitive and will soon be poking their nose in and nibbling away. They have adjustable spacers to make room for baby's nose but not moms. :-)

Ripper 04-29-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poseidon (Post 1478397)
What is the point of feeding sweet feed to a foal so young? And free choice at that. IMO, a foal only needs access to quality hay, water, and minerals.

The point is to raise a good baby.

FaydesMom 04-29-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poseidon (Post 1478397)
What is the point of feeding sweet feed to a foal so young? And free choice at that. IMO, a foal only needs access to quality hay, water, and minerals.

If you look at benson's post, the "status" thingy at the bottom says: "benson2008 is Looking for some tips on weight gain for mare and foal"

If the foal is getting nutrition from creep feeding, mom is using less of her energy feeding foal and can then gain some weight herself.

benson2008 04-29-2012 04:37 PM

I've already seen him poking in his mothers feed, can he eat what she eats or is it better to get his own feed? Also can i feed him when i feed her or does he have to have it down all the time?

Ripper 04-29-2012 04:39 PM

My mares and foals were in a big box stall.

I set a post in a back coner about three foot from one wall and four foot from the back wall.

Then I nailed boards so the foal could get under the far end.....two boards on the long end.

Feed tub hung in the coner.

I loved it because most foals learned to lay in there.

It was always clean and had dry saw dust.

Of course, they got out to exercise twice a day.

Ripper 04-29-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benson2008 (Post 1478411)
I've already seen him poking in his mothers feed, can he eat what she eats or is it better to get his own feed? Also can i feed him when i feed her or does he have to have it down all the time?

I like free choice.

NdAppy 04-29-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FaydesMom (Post 1478410)
If you look at benson's post, the "status" thingy at the bottom says: "benson2008 is Looking for some tips on weight gain for mare and foal"

If the foal is getting nutrition from creep feeding, mom is using less of her energy feeding foal and can then gain some weight herself.

That doesn't meant that the foal or the mare needs free choice sweet feed. Sweet feed is basically glorified candy for horses. Free choice feeding sweet feed is just asking for problems.

I suggest the OP find something that is more nutritionally sound and available where they are at.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0