The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   First Jumping Show....any tips? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/first-jumping-show-any-tips-121754/)

JaneyWaney9 04-29-2012 04:22 PM

First Jumping Show....any tips?

I'm going to a schooling/spring show next weekend, and I'm kinda nervous.
Any tips?
(This is my first time in a jumping show, and this is my horse's first jumping show. Please don't comment on that. I'm not expecting to take home these massive trophies, but I don't want to make a complete fool out of myself.)

My horse tends to either rush jumps or run out from them when he gets hyper. Any tips on that?

jorjor23 04-29-2012 06:25 PM

Just keeping your composure is probably the most important thing. Don't get too hasty or ahead of yourself when it comes to finding distances, go into your corners(if your doing a jump off and don't have time at least get to the jump straight, I'm not sure if your doing jumpers or not),

don't lean at the jumps, stay back till your horse is in the air, because if you get really deep to a jump, not supporting your horse can mean a rail down.

if your horses is getting two out of control, half-halt(see saw the reins lightly if needed), get him back and go from there. you may have to do this a few times if your horse is overly excitable. D

Ray MacDonald 04-29-2012 06:30 PM

Also when you think your horse is rushing really THINK slow, take a few deep breaths and relax your body and think slowwww slowwww.... It might calm your mare down and not as rushy. Good Luck!

Woodland Eventer 04-30-2012 01:40 PM

I've gotten in the habit of talking to my horses. Both of mine are eventers, but show hunter/jumpers for practice. Transitioning to hunters is often difficult for them because they're used to competing jumpers and xc. I'll sometimes just softly talk to them. It keeps me breathing, and doesn't matter if you're saying something mean like "Slow down you crazy idiot" as long as you say it softly.

Hedgie 04-30-2012 02:03 PM

Just remember to stay calm and enjoy it! I think that is the most important thing! Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Obviously if you're going to a show, you know how to handle your horse and ride him well. Have fun and enjoy it! And I'm sure we'd all love to see photos after :)

Good luck!!