The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   what do you look for in a boarding facility? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/what-do-you-look-boarding-facility-121761/)

JanetsPaintedRayne 04-29-2012 06:05 PM

what do you look for in a boarding facility?

I have recently aquired a piece of property (120 acres) that I would like to eventually turn into a boarding facility. I know it's not something that will happen over night and I know it's not for the faint of heart, however, this is our dream.

That being said, I would love to hear everyones opinions on what they like to see in a boarding facility. It will help me greatly in knowing what people are looking for so I know what to do and what NOT to do.

Thanks in advance! Have a great day everyone!

caseymyhorserocks 04-29-2012 10:01 PM

Insurance and liability releases. If they dont have them it sends warning bells off in my head and tells me they arent responsible enough.

Turnout- minimum of 8 hours, with option of turnout with other horses.

Safe well maintained fencing and facilities- no barbed wire.

Hay either fed every 6 hours or free choice.

crimsonsky 04-29-2012 10:10 PM

the option/ability to have my horses fed the specific grain and supplements they need as well as having their blanket/fly masks/etc taken off and put on as necessary.

good quality feed

safe fencing

LARGE stalls - i could never consider putting my horses in anything smaller than 14 x 14 stalls especially if they don't have runs attached

good quality safe footing in the arenas (yes plural especially if you intend on having a facility of any real size)

individual tack lockers. things are known to grow legs and never be seen again in boarding facilities if personal items can't be safely locked up. i'm not a fan of shared tack rooms for this reason.

turnout like casey mentioned - at minimum 8 hours a day. i have horses that both do well in herd settings as well as one who really should only be turned out alone so the option of either one is great.

Puddintat 04-29-2012 10:25 PM

Communication is the most important thing for me. Everything else that the others are saying is important, too, but without communication you have nothing. Main reason why I left my previous barn.

TimberRidgeRanch 04-29-2012 10:38 PM

Safe clean facility large turnouts large airy well bedded stalls even if you have rubber mats. Good feed clean dust free hay and patient calm and knowledgeable handlers. Good easy to understand contract liablity insurance and riding release. Clear and strict rules.

JanetsPaintedRayne 04-29-2012 10:49 PM

I appreciate all the feedback! Making noted as we speak.
Posted via Mobile Device

JanetsPaintedRayne 04-29-2012 11:20 PM

As of right now we have one barn with 3 12x12 stalls and one 12x24 (vet/foaling stall). All of which have runs into one 20 acre run out. The previous owner had the 40 lot cross fenced into 2-20 acre sections so there is the option to have horses seperated if need be. The other building we have is where the current tack room is which is 20x36 and a 40x36 loafing shed with runs into 80 acres of sub irrigated land. Also on the land is a large round pen.

We (my boyfriend and I) realize that with our lack of enough stalls right now we could only board pastured horses or one stalled horse. We don't plan on opening a boarding facility any time soon but it is nice getting feedback on what people look for. We have every intention to add at least two arenas. One outdoor and one indoor. What we would preferably like to do is have a larger barn built with 10 standard stalls and of course vet/foaling stalls and wash rooms.

I agree completely on having lockers in the tack room! I am very particular about my tack and would be highly upset if someone took/broke my stuff. If you guys have any imore input feel free to throw it at me!
Posted via Mobile Device

caseymyhorserocks 04-29-2012 11:29 PM

If you decide to board- make sure you get insurance and a liability release.

JanetsPaintedRayne 04-29-2012 11:33 PM

Definitely. To me that's not even an option to not have it. When we do this it will be done the right way! I know I wouldn't board any of my horses at a place that did not have insurance or a liability release.
Posted via Mobile Device

azwantapaint 04-29-2012 11:38 PM

This is all really good information!