The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Percheron body difference (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/percheron-body-difference-121796/)

Oldhorselady 04-29-2012 11:44 PM

Percheron body difference

Here is a picture of Belle a couple of months after her rescue last June. The second photo is of her today. I think her body looks more proportionate? Before it was like her front end and back end were two seperate pieces...now she looks more like a whole horse? Maybe it's just me......:?

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/o...00797_n1-3.jpg

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/o...shersz08/1.jpg

Skyseternalangel 04-29-2012 11:48 PM

I do see a slight improvement of her back, it's not nearly as concave as previously.

I hope those resources I sent along help her out :)

soenjer55 04-29-2012 11:52 PM

I definitely see improvement in her back. :)

Oldhorselady 04-29-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1479053)
I do see a slight improvement of her back, it's not nearly as concave as previously.

I hope those resources I sent along help her out :)

Thanks so much Skyseternalangel! I will definately use that info. Her back muscles have strengthened cross-wise, now hopefully we can get her to pull those muscles up!

oh vair oh 04-29-2012 11:54 PM

D: that back before was terrifying! glad she is doing better!

FeatheredFeet 04-30-2012 12:43 PM

I also think she's looking better. You will never make her normal however and she doesn't seem to be suffering any ill-effects from her swayed back. Lordosis is definitely a genetic problem, as put forth by Gallagher, who did a great deal of study on the problem. It is seen mostly in Saddlebreds, but shows up in Arabians and other breeds also.

She's a lovely mare.

Lizzie

Oldhorselady 04-30-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet (Post 1479849)
I also think she's looking better. You will never make her normal however and she doesn't seem to be suffering any ill-effects from her swayed back. Lordosis is definitely a genetic problem, as put forth by Gallagher, who did a great deal of study on the problem. It is seen mostly in Saddlebreds, but shows up in Arabians and other breeds also.

She's a lovely mare.

Lizzie

I know she will never completely be normal....but I would like her to improve as much as she can. I was told her back wasn't sway a few years ago by someone who saw her then...she did foal after that. She also had no exercise for three years and not very good nutrician......whatever the reason, I just want her as healthy as she can be.:-)

Oldhorselady 05-12-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldhorselady (Post 1479058)
Thanks so much Skyseternalangel! I will definately use that info. Her back muscles have strengthened cross-wise, now hopefully we can get her to pull those muscles up!

Skyseternalangel.....I have been doing the horsie yoga....she does great with all of them....but I can't get her to raise her mid section by applying pressure or tickling her under belly. Hmmm..... I did want to tell you something neat though that I just realized when I signed on to this post today....I found out that Belle's name originally was Sky by a local guy that used to drive her when the previous owner boarded at his barn. Wow!

Skyseternalangel 05-12-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldhorselady (Post 1496561)
Skyseternalangel.....I have been doing the horsie yoga....she does great with all of them....but I can't get her to raise her mid section by applying pressure or tickling her under belly. Hmmm..... I did want to tell you something neat though that I just realized when I signed on to this post today....I found out that Belle's name originally was Sky by a local guy that used to drive her when the previous owner boarded at his barn. Wow!

LOL that is crazy! And yay that's great :)

Yeah my horse won't do belly lifts either because something is locking him from being able to do them. He used to do them if I applied quite a bit of pressure on the bottom of his barrel.. like 3-4 pounds of pressure.

Did you get a chance to watch all of the videos? You can also email her and she replies back to you within the same day usually.

Oldhorselady 05-12-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1496575)
LOL that is crazy! And yay that's great :)

Yeah my horse won't do belly lifts either because something is locking him from being able to do them. He used to do them if I applied quite a bit of pressure on the bottom of his barrel.. like 3-4 pounds of pressure.

Did you get a chance to watch all of the videos? You can also email her and she replies back to you within the same day usually.

Yeah, I watched the videos..very cool. Maybe I will email her too. Thanks!