The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My daughters horse is being a brat (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-daughters-horse-being-brat-121845/)

BrokersGma 04-30-2012 01:35 PM

My daughters horse is being a brat

Hi, I am new to Horses and my daughter (22) is fairly new also. We recently moved her gelding who is 15 and a very good guy over to our property. We had been having him boarded for the last year until we got a place ready for him. He has only been there a week. He has been an angel for me to take care of I had to feed and take care of him a few days while my daughter was out of town. She is back now and the last two times she has went in to feed him, he stomps his foot and bangs his foot on the gate. Like a kid throwing a tantrum for his grain. She never gives him his grain when he does that and makes him settle with hay and when he is calmed down she will then give him his grain. Any ideas or suggestions for this behavior. Thanks

raisinandelana 04-30-2012 04:06 PM

Is he being worked on a daily basis? What kind of grain are you feeding him? If it was me, I would cut his grain completely out or go to a ration balancer. There will probably be a lot of different replies and disagreements but that's what Id do
Posted via Mobile Device

ThisHorseGirl 04-30-2012 04:09 PM

Its going to take time for him to adjust, its only been a week. I would agree with cutting out his grain, if he's in good health.

raisinandelana 04-30-2012 04:17 PM

Haha I didn't even see the week part, my bad! Yeah I agree the horse needs to settle in also :)
Posted via Mobile Device

iridehorses 04-30-2012 04:40 PM

Bad behavior is never to be excused (understood, maybe, but not excused). I would continue to do what your daughter is doing - if he is misbehaving, then he needs to be corrected.

Does he have a companion? Is he getting exercise?

CLaPorte432 04-30-2012 04:51 PM

893 Attachment(s)
My gelding bangs on the door or gate when hes impatient too. I usually yell his name and he'll quit. If it doesnt...I keep a lunge whip closeby and when he does again it i chase him away. Most of the time it works and he doesnt do it again. He knows better but does it anyway when he wants in his stall or wants food.
Posted via Mobile Device

DRichmond 04-30-2012 05:10 PM

To me, that behavior can be interpreted more than one way. He may simply be happy and excited that he's now living with you instead of being boarded, and is not being "bratty," so to speak, just happy with the new changes. He may stop the behavior on his own. If this is the case, he may not understand why he's being punished for expressing in his own way that he is happy and excited.

yadlim 04-30-2012 08:34 PM

If the new routine is getting you a behavior you don't like - use a different routine. Find a different way to set him up for dinner where he is not doing what you don't like. Set him up to succeed - this is really important as both humans are fairly new to horses. The three of you will be better off for this.

Tonipony 04-30-2012 08:40 PM

Since he was boarded, he may have always pawed at feed time and this may not be something new. My stallion paws at feed time, he always has and it is not a big deal to me. It is a habit he has and I just feed him first and go on about feeding the rest.

BrokersGma 05-01-2012 02:36 PM

Thanks all for the input, given me a lot of ideas on things to try. He really is a sweet guy.