The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   I need to get rid of these huge chestnuts. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/i-need-get-rid-these-huge-121873/)

OutOfTheLoop 04-30-2012 03:41 PM

I need to get rid of these huge chestnuts.

1 Attachment(s)
Ive heard many different ways to get rid of chestnuts, such as putting vaseline on them. Personally, I have never tried anything, as I have never had a horse whose chestnuts grew so large. Poor guy, they are almost as unsightly as his head. So what has worked for you to help this situation?

iridehorses 04-30-2012 03:46 PM

In the past, I've let my farrier clip them with his nippers. (They really can stink, BTW).

TimberRidgeRanch 04-30-2012 03:50 PM

Applying vasaline to them for a period of 3 to 4 days you will be able to peel them off with no trouble. Or next time your farrier is out ask him to snip them off.
I use a pocket knife to remove mine But if you do not know what you are doing I would go with the first 2.
Eventually they will fall off themselves. Its natural process.

TRR

LetAGrlShowU 04-30-2012 03:51 PM

Wow, you learn something new everyday. I never realized they were "removable"... tell me more.

usandpets 04-30-2012 03:55 PM

My mare has some that are big like that. I've never thought of them as unsightly. That's just the way she is. I've also heard to cut them off with a hoof nipper. The ones in front usually peal off but I've never done anything to the ones on the rear legs.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 04-30-2012 03:56 PM

I peel them off after bathing. The water and soap tends to loosen them up and i just peel then off. Of course ive never had them get that big though.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 04-30-2012 03:58 PM

For the initial removal, I would have my farrier clip them with his nippers. For maintenance after that, you can just peel them off with your fingers, even when they are dry.

Taffy Clayton 04-30-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetAGrlShowU (Post 1480166)
Wow, you learn something new everyday. I never realized they were "removable"... tell me more.

To be clear, they are not removable, they are trimable. Don't try and cut them out. you can however cut them so they only stick out a quarter inch or so from the leg.

OutOfTheLoop 04-30-2012 04:01 PM

Great. Next farrier visit is May 13, I will definatly ask her to clip those things off. I normally would not worry about it, but I have never seen them get this big, so never thought about it.

paintsrule2 04-30-2012 04:15 PM

Once you get them under control, I use a fine grit sanding block to gently smooth them and then put a bit of hoof moisturizer or vaseline on them to keep them soft. It's like buffing your own nails.