The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Thoroughbred being ridden western? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/thoroughbred-being-ridden-western-121954/)

MisssMarie 05-01-2012 10:45 AM

Thoroughbred being ridden western?

Does anyone do this? What - if any - issues might there be. I hear you have a hard time finding a saddle because of the whithers? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 05-01-2012 11:59 AM

All of our thoroughbreds are ridden western and english we have had no problems with saddle fit with 2 the 3rd is a bit difficult but nothing major.
Posted via Mobile Device

horseluver250 05-01-2012 12:01 PM

I've ridden thoroughbreds western. Fitting one with high withers is an issue, just need to find a western saddle with a higher gullet. However not all TBs have high withers. I have a QH right now that has quite high withers, more than some of the tbs I have had.

Jessabel 05-01-2012 01:18 PM

I used to ride my TB western. Never had any problems. Like horseluver said, you just have to be careful to use a saddle that can accommodate higher withers (and narrower backs, usually. Depends on how your horse is built). Proper fitting tack is kind of a no brainer. :P

kait18 05-01-2012 01:30 PM

i loved my first tb ex racer who was then turned into a western pleasure horse... she loved the western saddle and hitting the trails. just find a saddle that fits and your ok... if you need help with the high withers find someone who fits saddles to get you the best fit :)

Country Woman 05-01-2012 01:39 PM

my horse that I am leasing has high withers and narrow
too , so finding a saddle is hard

Lins 05-01-2012 01:56 PM

My 18 year old OTTB was green broke to english when I got him. He is now neck reining and a really nice trail/ putter around the farm horse. I already had a saddle that fit big horses, so that wasn't a problem for me. He has a nice big, ground covering stroll, and he now keeps a low head set, he looks very nice being ridden western.
Posted via Mobile Device

MisssMarie 05-01-2012 02:52 PM

Thanks! I'll be lookin into that then!
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 05-01-2012 03:05 PM

My first horse an ex racer was a great trail horse and could bury his tail and do an incredible roll back. He was like riding a spring, he could coil his body in beautiful floaty collection or stretch out and relax.

Country Woman 05-01-2012 06:13 PM

I rode a Thoroughbred western and I really enjoyed him