The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Weatherbeeta or Kensington? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/weatherbeeta-kensington-121976/)

Fowl Play 05-01-2012 02:46 PM

Weatherbeeta or Kensington?

I am going to buy my daughter's horse a winter blanket while they're all on clearance. I have it narrowed down to a Weatherbeeta and a Kensington, both are the same color (important to a 10 year old girl), both have the same fill, slightly different denier, but the horse is pretty easy on blankets, not turned out with other horses, etc, both have the neck thing that my daughter really wants, and both are $99 (down from $150ish each). Is one really any better than the other? I know at our barn more people have Weatherbeetas, because they are sold at the feed store in town.

The amazing thing is that my daughter settled on forrest green or navy blue, not some crazy printed one. She wants a plain one!

Dreamcatcher Arabians 05-01-2012 04:55 PM

In my experience, the Kensington should be put together better and should last longer and look like new longer. They probably have a warranty as well, don't think the Weathabeatas do. The Kensingtons have a better belly strap clip system too, I have a couple of Weathabeatas and I HATE the T clips that get bent and hard to manage. I've quit buying new Weathabeetas because of that and gone over to Schneider's blankets because of the cost, clips and warranties on the Schneider's blankets. You can also get Schneider's Blankets for about the same price regular or less than the Weathabeetas and Kensingtons on sale.

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...kets_euro-fit/

kitten_Val 05-01-2012 07:56 PM

I like both brands, so no advice from me. :)

HorsesAreMyPassion 05-01-2012 08:58 PM

I really like Weatherbeeta blankets. I haven't had any problems with any of them. They are durable and they fit well. I have lots of different weights and styles of the Freestyle Orican, the Freestyle Landa and a couple of the Freestyle Airflow Fly Sheets and have nothing bad to say about them. I especially like the way they fit my horses around their shoulders and withers. I usually only buy Weatherbeeta turnout blankets and sheets now.

I don't own any Kensington blankets or sheets, so I don't have any advice to give on them, but from what I see, they look like nice blankets/sheets. I had a Kensington Fly Mask a long time ago that I really liked, it was great quality and very durable, it lasted a long time before I needed to replace it.

nvr2many 05-05-2012 05:25 PM

I have a kensington and it is wonderful, no rubs, fits great and keeps him warm and dry. I need to get one for our other horse, his blanket is a big D I think and not all that great, wears the hair off his front upper legs/shoulders too.