The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Narrow Horse - Which Tree? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/narrow-horse-tree-122049/)

sabowin 05-01-2012 11:11 PM

Narrow Horse - Which Tree?

4 Attachment(s)
I'm buying a horse, and he's pretty narrow, but he's also undermuscled (and he's not quite six, so I'm hoping he'll fill out a little more, too). A friend recommends the Abetta Endurance saddle, and it sounds good, but I'm wondering which tree to get. They don't offer a semi quarter horse tree--just standard, wide (not for me!), and gaited. It sounds like the gaited has a narrower but higher gullet, a more acute angle between the bars (the opposite of a wide tree), and is flared in the shoulder to allow the "action" of gaited horses. My future horse isn't gaited, but he's very narrow and his shoulders will likely muscle up with more work.

What do you guys think? Here are some photos of his back that the seller took for me:

Country Woman 05-01-2012 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
please help what size saddle do I need for Annabelle

SouthernTrails 05-02-2012 07:19 AM

If you are referring to the Abetta 20510, it does use a 6.75" QH Bar, I believe it will be a little wide and the wrong bar angle for that Horse.

I believe the Semi-QH Tree would be better

Fabtron has one model with that size tree, but it has a horn. Bighorn and Abetta have no version that I know of.

If you want a no-horn version, it would be custom

Message me your email, I can email you a template to check the Wither size.

sabowin 05-04-2012 06:39 PM

Yes, the Abetta Endurance saddle is appealing to me because of its price (which is appealing because the horse is likely to change shape as he gets fit, so this will be a starter saddle for both of us in many ways, and I can get a nicer one once he and I are both where we will likely stay, shape-wise) and because it doesn't have a horn. It also sounds like Abettas get good reviews for the price.

I'm hoping to order a saddle before getting him (next weekend, the 12th), though I will, of course, buy from a place with a good return policy and return it if it doesn't fit. (I don't have a whole lot of retailers where I live, mostly consignment shops where they don't have consistent stock, so you can't try various tree sizes in the same model saddle.) So tracing his withers won't be possible if I want to order it before getting him--he's a six hour drive away. Do you think the Abetta Endurance with the Gaited tree would work for him?

SouthernTrails 05-04-2012 07:33 PM

Shawna,

The Abetta Gaited Saddle shows a 6.75" Gullet also, but according the Specs I have from Abetta and also from Ralide, the Tree has a 7" Gullet, which is way too wide.

It is possible Abbeta has changed the Tree in the last 2 years and Ralide makes a new Tree not in their Catalog, but that is a lot of coincidences in the two years since I was a dealer for them, but anything could have happened... Make sure you have a dealer with a liberal restocking policy.

I no longer sell Abetta or I would work with you on a try out.

SouthernTrails 05-04-2012 07:36 PM

Country Women, from the one Pic I would say definitely a Semi-QH Tree, but would like a different view :)

Saddlebag 05-06-2012 09:01 AM

invite your friends to bring their saddles and have a "saddle fitting " party. Whichever one fits the best, that's what your look for. And of course, hope their saddles don't all have the same tree.