The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   TN walking horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/tn-walking-horses-122053/)

shaggy 05-02-2012 12:47 AM

TN walking horses

Ok so on another thread i mentioned that I'm having trouble with the Canter since my Morgan is so choppy. I had an idea for way i might be able to get help with it but first i need to know a little about TN walkers. See theres a lady in our church whose grown daughter owns and shows walkers. I've been thinking about calling her up and asking her if she would be willing to help me with my cantering issues. Now my question: I've heard that TN walkers have really smoother canters is that true? i've never ridden one so I don't know much about them.

Wallee 05-02-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy (Post 1482252)
Ok so on another thread i mentioned that I'm having trouble with the Canter since my Morgan is so choppy. I had an idea for way i might be able to get help with it but first i need to know a little about TN walkers. See theres a lady in our church whose grown daughter owns and shows walkers. I've been thinking about calling her up and asking her if she would be willing to help me with my cantering issues. Now my question: I've heard that TN walkers have really smoother canters is that true? i've never ridden one so I don't know much about them.

My walker will canter and she is pretty smooth!

KissTheRing 05-02-2012 01:21 AM

Dunno About every Walker But Mines Real Smooth too. Its very Lofty/Rolling.

calicokatt 05-02-2012 01:38 AM

My mom's walker has a VERY smooth canter. My morgan has a DELIGHTFUL canter, not choppy, but lots of motion, and very lofty, you definitely have to let your hips move with it, or you'd probably come right off....

shaggy 05-02-2012 01:56 AM

cool so 3/3 saying smooth canter! and CalicoKatt- does your morgan have a long back? my guy has a short one and canter is really bouncy

calicokatt 05-02-2012 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy (Post 1482353)
cool so 3/3 saying smooth canter! and CalicoKatt- does your morgan have a long back? my guy has a short one and canter is really bouncy

No, she has a very short back. She has a lot of lift to her movement, but it is definitely not bouncy, I really enjoy her canter, and I'd say the only better one I've ridden is my mom's walker...

Thinking about it, my mare is also very easy to collect, and I nearly always ride her collected at the canter, not sure how you're riding, but maybe that would make the difference?

shaggy 05-02-2012 04:03 AM

hum didn't think about collecting him at the canter if i can ever get the confedence to canter him i'll defiantly try to collect him. Is it the sam collecting at the trot? cause that i can do without to much problem =)

calicokatt 05-02-2012 12:10 PM

Yes, pretty much the same. :)

Joe4d 05-02-2012 01:49 PM

Depends on the Walkers and how this lady rides them, If you show up and they have a boat anchor in their mouth look elsewhere.

arrowsaway 05-02-2012 02:22 PM

given proper training, the right bit in the right horse, and collection, it should be a wonderful, floaty feeling. there's a reason they call it the rocking chair canter :wink: