The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Helmet advice (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/helmet-advice-122075/)

myQHpaul 05-02-2012 09:27 AM

Helmet advice

I am in need of a new helmet and have been debating on two Troxel brands

The first is the Troxel Venture in brown and black-It has the cinch-fit elite adjusting retention system, moisture management lining, and reflective piping

The second if the Troxel Sierra- mesh ventilation, soft tip visor, cinch-fit pro

I am mainly just an everyday rider with daily trails if the weather permits. I don't do cross country or jumps and I stick with either a walk or a trot pace.

Thanks for your help :)

Skyseternalangel 05-02-2012 09:54 AM

I have very limited experience with the Troxel brand. I have no experience with either of those but I lean towards the Sierra more for the mesh ventilation. You want a helmet that breathes or it will get gross in there and your head will sweat.

The other one has "moisture wicking" which sounds as if it doesn't have that great of a ventilation to me at least. I could be wrong since my head has been in neither of these brands

Curious to see what others say

Speed Racer 05-02-2012 10:02 AM

I haven't used a Troxel in many years, but if you're going to do a lot of riding when the weather's warm, I'd opt for the mesh ventilation system. It will keep your head much cooler.

I have a Tipperary Sportage with the mesh ventilation. Very nice helmet.

Joe4d 05-02-2012 02:22 PM

Troxels are total garbage, cheap harnesses break or wont stay adjusted, some have pointed adjusters that stab the back of your head. Bills fall off,
Had 3 tried 4 of them, Dakotas ? or trail/western look models. or there abouts ,
Lets see helmet 1, dial adjuster broke first time I used it, returned
Helmet 2, defect in harness no way to get it adjusted.
helmet 3 tried at store different slide adjuster stabbed me in the head,
helmet 4, actually used for awhile, velcro on bill never would stay on, the velcro wouldnt stay glued, was always messing with it regluing re velcro etc., constantly had to mess with adjuster, finally got fed up and trashed it.
I bought a IRH trail lite, Lower profile, no head harness or adjusters, 100 times better than anything troxel makes.
I'll cut a soccer ball in half and duct tape it to my head before I will ever waste money on another troxel.

bsms 05-02-2012 03:43 PM

Of the 3 Troxels I've bought, 2 developed some sort of very sticky goo on the outside of the helmet. Don't know if the Arizona sun was melting the plastic, or someone in shipping disliked me and sprayed UV-sensitive goo on the helmets. The adjuster broke on one.

I think one had a visor that broke off...it is the oldest one. Never got gooey, but no brim. My wife uses it, because she knows I lack the nerve to tell her she looks like a dork wearing it...

Besides, I don't have to worry about her picking up guys while riding a 13 hand mustang and wearing her dork-top no-bill helmet.

I've had good luck with my Tipperary Sportage.

And please - no one forward this to my wife. :wink:

Joe4d 05-02-2012 04:22 PM

the spprtages are cool, but watch out for sizing, they call a 7 1/8 th LARGE, and have dropped the extra larges. I think my next helmet will be a IRH elite extreme, just casue I think they look sporty. What I really want is on with a big red roman centurian plume on top.

bsms 05-02-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1483160)
...What I really want is on with a big red roman centurian plume on top.

Hmmmm...would this be too hot for Arizona?

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...aeaff154988bdc

If I fell off my horse, passing aircraft could spot me from 30,000 feet!

poppy1356 05-02-2012 04:52 PM

I also say stay very far away from Troxel. They are extremely cheap and that adjuster thing will break. I have an Ovation. I don't remember the model but it was only $45 so half the price of a Troxel but built much, much better. I think it is hot but I also think just a baseball cap is very hot too so can't judge there. But it does not have a big visor. Either way anything but a Troxel would be best.

Corporal 05-02-2012 04:52 PM

Thanks, Joe4D for the Consumer Report on helmets!!

myQHpaul 05-02-2012 07:06 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am going to head to my local tack shop this weekend and see if they have the Tipperary Sportage. I like the look of that type and the reviews seems to be very favorable.