The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Breastplates? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/breastplates-122093/)

sarahkgamble 05-02-2012 12:09 PM

Breastplates?

My horse is finally doing better and I've finally gotten the confidence to ride my horse out on trails with other horses (woohoo!). The past 2 days we've gone on 1-1.5 hour trail rides in the woods with uneven footing and playing in an open field, also with not perfect footing. We often canter and I was just wondering if, since we're doing this now, I should invest in getting him a breastplate?

Thanks!

HorsesAreMyPassion 05-03-2012 12:12 AM

Does your saddle slip/move when you are riding? If your saddle fits your horse properly and is staying in position while you're riding, then you shouldn't need one. If you notice that it is slipping/moving, first of all check to make sure the saddle fits your horse properly. Once you have made sure that the saddle is a good fit but it still slips/moves, then a breastplate would be a good idea.

sarahkgamble 05-03-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorsesAreMyPassion (Post 1483900)
Does your saddle slip/move when you are riding? If your saddle fits your horse properly and is staying in position while you're riding, then you shouldn't need one. If you notice that it is slipping/moving, first of all check to make sure the saddle fits your horse properly. Once you have made sure that the saddle is a good fit but it still slips/moves, then a breastplate would be a good idea.

Nope, it doesn't slip at all.
Recently, we've noticed my horse "puffing" his stomach out when I first put the girth on and even after I tighten it 2 holes before getting on, I'll be riding, jumping, etc. and then take a break and notice I can fit my whole hand through my girth, yet my saddle didn't move an inch!
Regardless, I definitely tighten the girth more and check it after I get on to make sure it's still secure now.

Mckellar 05-03-2012 01:36 PM

The girth really keep your saddle tight from siding side to side for the most part , the girth will not keep it from moving back or forward. A lot of people is them because they are pretty lol. I find breastplates really don't help much except for keeping the saddle going way down your horses back. I use a breast collar because once we get jumping big jumps the saddle will slide back due to gravity. If you get riding up and down steep hills it may be good have one just in case

sarahkgamble 05-03-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mckellar (Post 1484274)
The girth really keep your saddle tight from siding side to side for the most part , the girth will not keep it from moving back or forward. A lot of people is them because they are pretty lol. I find breastplates really don't help much except for keeping the saddle going way down your horses back. I use a breast collar because once we get jumping big jumps the saddle will slide back due to gravity. If you get riding up and down steep hills it may be good have one just in case

Unfortunately, I live where there are barely any hills, so I don't get to have that fun. :( Haha. While Shamrock is learning to jump, he's not jumping big enough to need a breastplate just yet.