The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Help, what do you do with your "toddlers" when you visit your horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/help-what-do-you-do-your-122100/)

Calash 05-02-2012 01:59 PM

Help, what do you do with your "toddlers" when you visit your horse?

I want to take my girls out to the barn today and let my poor horse out for some expercise and have a little "picnic" with my kids while she runs around then do some grooming. I have never done this before and want to be as safe as possible with my children (3&5yrs old), I have no one to help me. I'm thinking about strapping them in a strollers and parking them by the picnic table with the brake on while I take my horse out to the round pen realy fast, I just don't know if this is appropriate or not?!!!! Do you take your kids with you, what do you do? I could also roll the windows down in the car and leave them strapped in thier car seats, the parking area is RIGHT next to my barn and pens, it would literally maybe take me 2 minutes to get her to the pen. *sigh, just having some anxiety about it!!!

btw, my husband just started back to work on Monday, he has been off for 3 months, I have had my horse a little over a month so I have had help this whole time!

msulli22 05-02-2012 02:29 PM

If you'll only be gone a minute or two, I would go with car seats with the windows down. My parents would do that when they ran fast errands when I was little, and there were never any incidents. Just make sure not to leave the keys in the car (my 2 year old cousin got locked in the car with their dog last month-- all was okay, though). I wouldn't leave them there at their ages for any more than 5 minutes at the very most, especially if either of them knows how to get out of their car seats.

Calash 05-02-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msulli22 (Post 1482973)
If you'll only be gone a minute or two, I would go with car seats with the windows down. My parents would do that when they ran fast errands when I was little, and there were never any incidents. Just make sure not to leave the keys in the car (my 2 year old cousin got locked in the car with their dog last month-- all was okay, though). I wouldn't leave them there at their ages for any more than 5 minutes at the very most, especially if either of them knows how to get out of their car seats.

Thanks!!! yeah and they will be in my vision the whole time, and niether one of them know how to get out, they can't undo to the bottom latch!!! I was left in the car all the time as a kid, and nothing ever happened, there are a lot of irresponsible people out there and this day and age so I understand if people give me the "evil eye" you never know who is going to freak out if they see a kid for even one second left in a car!

Sahara 05-02-2012 02:44 PM

Honestly, I would get a babysitter. You aren't going to get anything accomplished with your horse if half your attention is on your kids. Keeping them locked up in a car so you can mess with your horse doesn't sound safe or responsible to me.

Whisper22 05-02-2012 02:52 PM

^^It doesn't sound like you read her whole OP.

I would leave them in the car also. As far as grooming, I might skip it. You don't want your kids running behind the horse while your grooming, and then what do you do when it's time to put your horse away. A picnic sounds fun, good luck.

mls 05-02-2012 03:23 PM

Sorry to be a downer but -

What are your state laws about leaving childern unattended in a vehicle?

Corporal 05-02-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahara (Post 1482994)
Honestly, I would get a babysitter. You aren't going to get anything accomplished with your horse if half your attention is on your kids. Keeping them locked up in a car so you can mess with your horse doesn't sound safe or responsible to me.

Your children are your first responsibility. Try to visit when you have a sitter.
Sahara, that tarantula looks tasty!! YUMM!!!

Delfina 05-02-2012 03:47 PM

Unattended in a vehicle is a bad idea especially since it's illegal in a lot of states. Strollers where you can see them at all times would be fine.

Anyone else with young kiddos at the barn? Ideal would be to find another mom and switch off babysitting.

Whisper22 05-02-2012 03:50 PM

She is only leaving the kids in the car while she moves her horse to the round pen, then she's going to have a picnic with them. If it's only going to take a couple minutes, I don't see a problem with that at all. She's not talking about leaving them in the car while she works with her horse.

EDIT: I don't like the stroller idea personally because the thought of leaving them strapped into something out in the open on horse property, just doesn't sit right with me. They would be much safer in the car.

msulli22 05-02-2012 03:53 PM

With respect to state laws, that is a good point. Most don't have any laws, though, and several that do allow a certain time limit within certain temperatures or with the windows down. It depends on the state. Personally, mine doesn't have one, although a parent can be charged with child endangerment on a case by case basis when there is a threat to the child's health.