The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   what age do you consider too old to breed? Mare and Stallion? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/what-age-do-you-consider-too-122179/)

Crossroadshorsefarm 05-02-2012 11:05 PM

what age do you consider too old to breed? Mare and Stallion?

What do you think?:-)

JSMidnight 05-02-2012 11:22 PM

Personally I wont breed my stallion till he is done with his show life because I want him to focus on me not mares. But if he wasn't showing then I might breed at 3 years old but most like 4 or 5. Same for a mare but I like to have horses mature before breeding.

CLaPorte432 05-02-2012 11:24 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSMidnight (Post 1483834)
Personally I wont breed my stallion till he is done with his show life because I want him to focus on me not mares. But if he wasn't showing then I might breed at 3 years old but most like 4 or 5. Same for a mare but I like to have horses mature before breeding.

She wants to know what age to stop breeding, not start... :wink:

JSMidnight 05-02-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1483837)
She wants to know what age to stop breeding, not start... :wink:

Argh... I guess I'm a little tired. Sorry.

themacpack 05-02-2012 11:43 PM

For mares - are we talking about maiden breedings or just the age at which to stop breeding an active broodmare?

SunnyDraco 05-02-2012 11:45 PM

For a mare, it would depend on many things. Her fitness, health and how recently she last had a foal. A mare that was still of great health, fitness and had recently had a foal should be just fine in her mid twenties.

For a stallion, until he is no longer able to perform and/or infertile LOL

Chiilaa 05-02-2012 11:58 PM

For me, both would depend on consultation with my vet. Mares can carry foals well into their 20s and some into their 30s. But I would want to give my beloved broodies a retirement - I know I won't want to have babies in my 70s. Maybe I am humanising them a touch, but I think that a creature that gives you so much of themselves deserves our love in their twilight years, and not more work.

Crossroadshorsefarm 05-03-2012 07:28 AM

My mare is 17, has never had a foal, but is extremely healthy and fit. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiilaa 05-03-2012 07:44 AM

I would consult extensively with your vet. While she isn't too old to carry a foal comfortably, she might have trouble catching.

CarmenL 05-03-2012 07:58 AM

The old mare I rescued from up the road had been foundered for about ten years. I thought I was bringing her home to fix her feet and let her be in a degree of comfort till she died.

Well, she had a new lease of life and I ended up breeding her twice before she was too old. She was so much healthier pregnant plus having a foal to look after gave her a wonderful purpose. She had no trouble foaling ot rearing her foals. I ended up putting her down five years after the birth of her last foal as I could not keep weight on her and she was ready to go!