The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How do YOU make them take their meds? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-do-you-make-them-take-122186/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 05-03-2012 08:19 AM

How do YOU make them take their meds?

So I know of a couple different ways to administer oral antibiotics (pills) to horses, but thought I'd ask everyone to share YOUR special way to get them to eat 'em up! :lol:

The way I was always taught, which works best with my mare it seems, is to take a small water bottle and put a small amount of warm water in the bottom, then drop in the pills and swish around til they dissolve. Then use as a top dressing over the grain. Works like a charm with my girl.

Some others I've seen mix the pills in applesauce and feed them with the grain. What are YOUR special "spoon full of sugar" tricks? :wink:

HagonNag 05-03-2012 08:23 AM

We pulverize the pills and mix them with molasses or applesauce and then use a HUGE syringe like a wormer. No problems.

Skyseternalangel 05-03-2012 08:28 AM

My horse loved molasses drizzled all over. The darker the better. If you pop the pills in a coffee grinder or mash them up and sprinkle it over grain, my horse won't give a rat's tail since he's getting his sugar :P

MHFoundation Quarters 05-03-2012 08:37 AM

How strange. I typed my post and it showed up blank. Let's try this again.

I only have a couple picky ones (translates to pain in the butt) with them I do as HagonNag mentioned. It goes in natural applesauce and a syringe. The rest of my gang are air ferns and only get a handful of ration balancer so they view any feed as a big treat and don't even notice if there's something extra in there lol.

COWCHICK77 05-03-2012 08:39 AM

Like Sky and Hag I use a coffe grinder, make a paste and use a 60cc syringe with the tip cut back on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cherie 05-03-2012 08:46 AM

I just crunch them up and add them to a 60cc syringe (with the end cut out of it) mixed with a little corn syrup. I find most of my horses eat the SMZs when I just break them in half and add them to some moist grain. Bute -- well, they always need to be pulverized and added to corn syrup only I use a smaller syringe -- like a 35cc one.

BarrelWannabe 05-03-2012 08:52 AM

Carve a pill-sized hole in whatever fruit/veggie that they REALLY like. I might coat the pill with something to mask the taste more.
I don't like grinding pills.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rascaholic 05-03-2012 11:10 AM

If it isn't to huge I poke it in a half a pear and hand it to Rascal. Pears are his favorite and he inhales them. Nothing left to spit out LOL

Hoofprints in the Sand 05-03-2012 01:11 PM

All great ideas, some very creative too! Keep them coming!

PaintHorseMares 05-03-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHFoundation Quarters (Post 1484020)
How strange. I typed my post and it showed up blank. Let's try this again.

I only have a couple picky ones (translates to pain in the butt) with them I do as HagonNag mentioned. It goes in natural applesauce and a syringe. The rest of my gang are air ferns and only get a handful of ration balancer so they view any feed as a big treat and don't even notice if there's something extra in there lol.

Same here...1 of our 4 can sniff out the slightest hint of medicine in her grain, so she gets the apple sauce w/syringe if I can't do by injection. The others don't care.