The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Curious... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/curious-122196/)

MissyMae 05-03-2012 11:07 AM

Curious...

I am wondering for those of you who own a boarding stable or even just a riding stable would you hire someone or let someone volunteer to get experience with horses?
I would LOVE to learn as much as possible and just get comfortable again. Thanks for any info.

Cmurray4175 05-03-2012 12:45 PM

I had very beginning to intermediate experience and after meeting me, was allowed to lease and train with a barn owner. Started on a wonderful senior mare learning ground work and have since "graduated" to a "green broke" mare who is much younger and very athletic. I worked hard, did what I was asked and loved those horses like they were my own. Proud to say I have earned the trust and knowledge to enjoy the barn whenever I like and have made wonderful friendships with everyone who lives on the property. Best experience ever!! I think if you really have it in you to do all hard work and learn all you can, that will show through during an interview. I think owners just want someone they can trust w/o question and you will be worth their time in training you the way THEY want things done around their place.
Posted via Mobile Device

loveduffy 05-03-2012 01:14 PM

I think that some barns are not set up to teach grooms they just want labor, so you have to pick a barn wisely is there any clubs in your area that you could ask you may find a back yard barn that may be better for you to start

WesternJake 05-03-2012 02:41 PM

You could always see if there are any barns in the area that would be willing to trade stall cleaning and other barn chores for lessons and horse experience.

Emily

mls 05-03-2012 03:14 PM

The unfortunate thing is liability and workers comp. We were recently informed that even trading labor for board falls under workers comp if the person were to get hurt. Our rates are designed to help folks own/lease. Certainly not to make ourselves rich.

We've had lots of 'oh I would never sue you'. It's not the person, it's their insurance company that goes back to cover their losses. I have been hurt over the years by boarders horses. I have never revealed who was 'responsible' as my insurance company would of gone after them to reclaim all of the money my injuries, surgery and PT cost.

MissyMae 05-03-2012 07:21 PM

Thank you for all the great information everyone! We have a couple of stables / riding stable around here so maybe I could just look into see if they have part time work. I am more than willing to work my butt off if someone is willing to teach me what I need to know. :)

caseymyhorserocks 05-04-2012 12:31 AM

What about working at an Equine Rescue?

RaiRaiNY 05-04-2012 08:04 AM

I don't own a barn but I do my board my horse. My BO recently hired a down-on-his luck 20yr old guy to bring in the horses and feed a night (4 months ago). It took him awhile to learn, and at first we were sure it wouldn't work out, but then he started to catch on.

He is truly an asset to our barn, and has become a part of our "family". He's learning how to ride, really loves, respects and cares for the horses, and takes care of most of the maintenance too.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you find someone willing to take a chance on you, it could be the best experience of your life.

MHFoundation Quarters 05-04-2012 08:26 AM

I have a student that trades barn work and babysitting for lessons. Her parents pay for 1 lesson a week but she wanted to ride more so I am allowing her to work them off. It's great for both of us!

That being said, it's a family that I've been working with for many years, this is their 4th child that I've taught to ride (2 currently) and I also have one of their horses in my barn for training w/ another coming tomorrow. I'd be more leery about doing something like that with someone I didn't have as much history with.