The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cars and Trucks (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/)
-   -   Question about Dodge Cummins 2007/2008 (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/question-about-dodge-cummins-2007-2008-a-122228/)

COWCHICK77 05-03-2012 03:43 PM

Question about Dodge Cummins 2007/2008

We are looking at buying another pickup. We have found a real nice 2007 Dodge Laramie 3500, 39,000 miles, dually, 4x4, automatic(the only thing I am not excited about) with the 5.9L High Output Cummins.

I seem to remeber there was a recall at some point for the 07/08 Cummins but I don't remember for what motor and why. Does anyone here have any experience with this paticular truck?
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 05-03-2012 04:14 PM

We own a 2007 full-ton Dodge Cummins 3500, crew cab, automatic, 4 x 4 doolie. I don't recall a recall on any parts, but there may have been one and we just took it to the dealer to fix. We paid $38K, bought in December, 2008 w/500 miles on ours.
I pull a 4-horse slant STEEL trailer and have to watch my lead foot when trailering it full.
The ONLY thing I hate about it is all of the fiberglass. My 1992 Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins is all steel and takes a beating. (I have only 113,000 miles on it and use it for getting hay and the like.) Somebody did a hit and run on the newer truck, and their insurance paid over $2k to fix a 3 inch gash. It happened with witnesses, so they found the driver.
Mine has around the same amount of mileage as the one you're looking at. It will be paid off in December, 2012, and I'll probably hang on to it.

COWCHICK77 05-03-2012 04:29 PM

Thanks!
The one we are looking at has a flat bed on it already, so I don't have to worry about tearing the fenders off...lol.
Just curious...what kind of fuel mileage are you getting with it?

I get awesome mileage with my 2006, upper 20's, 14-18 with a loaded trailer, hoping this truck gets the same.
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 05-03-2012 04:40 PM

To tell the truth I haven't paid much attention to that, although I can tell you that my 2001 Saturn 200L, with >220,000 miles on it STILL gets about 40 mpg.
I'm pretty sure it gets something like 12mpg, or better. My older one gets 8pmg when last we hauled with it.
I'm sold on the Cummins engine, but I think I'd seriously look at a Ford diesel next time.
We just replaced the battery, so look at that before you buy. It was 3 1/2 years old and needed replacing. Our (local) mechanic found a more powerful one than the factory had installed to replace it. I hate when they go cheap on those things. My mechanic told us that a low battery can affect the alternator and the regulator. THOSE are pricey to replace.
I bought a charger that they recommended using on the battery if it sits for more than 3 weeks without use. We are blessed to have a 20yo, 4-car garage to store our trucks in with lots of outlets.

COWCHICK77 05-03-2012 06:48 PM

The gal that has the truck that we are looking at has a few Fords for sale and wanted to know if my husband would be interested in one of them, he replied " I don't think I can afford the divorce papers that will come with it." LOL. My husband likes Fords, but I have had nothing but bad luck with them. My dad is a diesel mechanic and he also worked on a fleet of Fords for the county road dept.(he is retired now)he despised Fords, the engines usually crapped out at about 155,000 miles and the front ends fell off. He used the same old 3/4 ton Dodge for years with a utility bed loaded with tools and an engine crane, compressor and welder and it outlasted all of the Fords. Of course this was in the 90's and trucks change and all makes have their bad apples. I just have had better luck with the Dodges.

I agree with you on the battery deal...been there done that...LOL. I don't hesitate to buy new batteries
Posted via Mobile Device

ls6firebird 05-03-2012 07:28 PM

we have an 06 and 07 at work. personally, i'd be asking the guy details on the fords. but all the diesels can get expensive. i think its best to drive them and see which one you think drives best and is most comfortable, because any of them can be great, or get real expensive.

COWCHICK77 05-03-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls6firebird (Post 1484798)
we have an 06 and 07 at work. personally, i'd be asking the guy details on the fords. but all the diesels can get expensive. i think its best to drive them and see which one you think drives best and is most comfortable, because any of them can be great, or get real expensive.

I definitely won't argue that the Fords have a smooth ride and a comfy interior, they have Dodge beat hands down (and my hubby wouldnt mind having another) But that is the last thing I look at, I would rather have a truck that you can't pick your nose in and last forever being beat down washboard roads. It has been the general consensus that Fords just can't handle the abuse that the Dodges can on washboard dirt roads for 80% of its life...In my opinion and those of others who have owned them in similar situations. We will not be using the truck purely for hwy miles, if so, I would agree to buying a Ford. I'm stuck on the Dodge, why ruin a good streak..LOL!

Anyhow I believe they came out with 2 motors in 07 or 08 and I thought they had a recall, minor or major, don't remeber. I have 5.9L 24 valve in our 06 and have had no issues with it. It has been an excellent truck given the life it has led. It has been abused like a red headed step child.
Posted via Mobile Device

ls6firebird 05-03-2012 08:47 PM

i believe in 07.5 they switched to the 6.7. i wouldnt be a bit suprised if that had recalls. but thats typical with any first year design.

i could see the fords getting outlasted back in the early-mid 90's, but the 97+ fords are pretty tough. i buckled the bed on the 07 at work. had some roofing material in the bed (was heavy but nothing extreme). went over some rough ground and the bed buckled. looked like something smashed it from the back driver side and tweaked it all around the passenger side. jammed the tailgate and everything.

but i still think its luck of the draw with any of the trucks these days.

AmazinCaucasian 05-04-2012 04:02 PM

Hey COWCHICK the recall you're talking about is probably on the front end. I believe it's a stabilizer shock. A shock that Dodge mounted horizontally; that's NOT designed to be horizontal. It causes a viration at about 55 or 60 MPH.that.

Corporal-that old 12 valve should get alot better mileage than that. You sure that's right?

AmazinCaucasian 05-04-2012 11:14 PM

Cowchick also remember, the Dodge Cummins chassis cabs are about 70 less horsepower than the trucks with regular beds