The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Can I use just plain vegetable oil? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/can-i-use-just-plain-vegetable-12225/)

Harley's mom 07-26-2008 10:58 AM

Can I use just plain vegetable oil?

For my saddle. That's all I have, and there are 2 people at the ranch that told me that's all they've ever used on their saddles, and that it's a total waste of money to buy the "saddle oils" at the tack store?

Opinions, please!!

Thanks!

Dumas'_Grrrl 07-26-2008 11:25 AM

I don't know! :? I would love to find the answer tho...I tend to be the kind of person that goes out and gets the right stuff for the job. I don't know that I would want to try that one with an expensive saddle, I'd be so scared I'd ruin it.

PoptartShop 07-26-2008 11:38 AM

^Same here, I'm also unsure. :?

Barbarosa 07-27-2008 08:34 AM

vegetable oil? hmmm If you used the veggie oil for the saddle and a cider vinager-garlic for the flys, you run the risk of riding on salad dressing. :shock: If you trail ride packing a lunch of carrots and different veggies you could put the oil and flyspray right on lunch for a dandy vinagerett! Seriously I wonder if it might make rats or mice want to chew on the saddle or maybe attracting rodents into the tack barn?

palogal 07-27-2008 10:18 AM

Yes you can.

Watch out though, some of those oils smell really strong and make your leather attractive to rodents.

iridehorses 07-27-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palogal
Yes you can.

Watch out though, some of those oils smell really strong and make your leather attractive to rodents.

The rodent attraction is a definite problem and there is also the fact that those oils go rancid. Even with that information, many horseman use olive oil - go figure!

I find that in the long run it is cheaper to use a product specifically designed for the job. Olive oil is expensive!

kickshaw 07-27-2008 10:54 AM

we used olive oil as a deep conditioning/bring dead leather back so to speak.

it smelled awful - - but worked (took about 5 days to completely soak in) - - and darkened the leather significantly.

Personally, i like a good, true neatsfoot oil - - fiebings is the best IMO

GallopingGrape 07-28-2008 06:22 PM

Veg oil is very tasty to mice! But, yest it does work. Otherwise, I agree with everyone else, use what is intended for the job. Lexol is great, Bickmore has a wonderful conditioner as well.

JustDressageIt 07-28-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbarosa
vegetable oil? hmmm If you used the veggie oil for the saddle and a cider vinager-garlic for the flys, you run the risk of riding on salad dressing. :shock: If you trail ride packing a lunch of carrots and different veggies you could put the oil and flyspray right on lunch for a dandy vinagerett! Seriously I wonder if it might make rats or mice want to chew on the saddle or maybe attracting rodents into the tack barn?

:lol: Couldn't stop laughing at this one!

Arrow 07-28-2008 10:10 PM

I want to say no, but I have no idea why--just seems like I heard it's hard on stitching or something. I've always used good, old fashioned neatsfoot oil--you've got to get the real thing, though--it needs to say that it really is neatfoot oil--something else has a similar name...

Shucks, this post is just chock full of useful info, isn't it? Sorry--lol!