The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Need help finding the right bit (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/need-help-finding-right-bit-122267/)

katc71 05-04-2012 12:54 AM

Need help finding the right bit

I have an 8 year old TN Walker that I recently took in. The bit her previous owner was using is actually too small. She needs at least a 5 1/2" mouth piece with a copper roller. She was still in a tom thumb. Any advice as to what this sweet girl needs or what bits do y'all recommend for TN Walkers still in a starter/intermediate bit? And please tell me what website/company where you purchased yours.
Thanks in advance!!:D

Skyseternalangel 05-04-2012 01:04 AM

Any tack store online or on foot has that size as it's pretty average.

What style do you ride?

I'd start with the stores that let you swap it back/return it if it doesn't work out as horses will like some bits more than others.

English (direct rein) http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack...pe-bits-36522/

Western (side rein) http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack...pe-bits-69588/

That's some info about the kind of bits out there, good luck!

katc71 05-04-2012 01:08 AM

Oops, yeah forgot to mention, I ride Western. I have looked at several online tack shops and can't find exactly what I'm looking for - either the size will be right, but won't have the roller or will have the roller, but not the right size.... sigh....

Skyseternalangel 05-04-2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katc71 (Post 1485173)
Oops, yeah forgot to mention, I ride Western. I have looked at several online tack shops and can't find exactly what I'm looking for - either the size will be right, but won't have the roller or will have the roller, but not the right size.... sigh....

So some kind of western dee or curb or what? (I am not a western person LOL) but I can help track one down if I know what to look for.

katc71 05-04-2012 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1485176)
So some kind of western dee or curb or what? (I am not a western person LOL) but I can help track one down if I know what to look for.

Thanks! Honestly, I've never had a gaited horse before...just quarter horses/arabs so I'm kind of lost as to if they should be in a specific bit or not. I think she will continue to work fine in a tom thumb snaffle with a roller, or possibly, MAYBE a simple straight bit (no port) with roller. I'd love to hear from other gaited horse folks as to what they ride in. And thank you Skyseternalangel!

Skyseternalangel 05-04-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katc71 (Post 1485199)
Thanks! Honestly, I've never had a gaited horse before...just quarter horses/arabs so I'm kind of lost as to if they should be in a specific bit or not. I think she will continue to work fine in a tom thumb snaffle with a roller, or possibly, MAYBE a simple straight bit (no port) with roller. I'd love to hear from other gaited horse folks as to what they ride in. And thank you Skyseternalangel!

I wish others more savvy about western bits would chime in... We once had a TWH at this place I worked at and he was in some sort of western bit and he neck reined off of that. I'll just pull up all the roller bits I can find and post them here, lol.

katc71 05-04-2012 01:29 AM

Thanks again! I have looked at several online tack shops and am now seeing bits in my sleep, LOL!

Skyseternalangel 05-04-2012 01:38 AM

Okay I've found "western roller snaffles"

Snaffles (you can get them elsewhere I just did a google search)
Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Dee Snaffle Bit with Copper Rollers
Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Racing Dee Bit with Copper Rollers
Saddles Tack Horse Supplies - ChickSaddlery.com Kelly Copper Roller Ring Snaffle
Korsteel Jointed Copper/ Steel Roller Dee - Copper/Aurigan Mouth from SmartPak Equine

Haven't found any curbs with no ports with rollers that aren't extremely harsh or require really soft hands...

I'll keep looking!

calicokatt 05-04-2012 01:43 AM

Are you just riding for pleasure? If so, then you don't need a specific bit, just something that makes your horse happy and that is soft enough in the horse's mouth for your hands/the way you ride. Our walker goes fine in a snaffle, but has to have a curb for western classes, so we use a short shank low port curb on him and he does fine in that too.