The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Necessary Evils (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/necessary-evils-122268/)

QHriderKE 05-03-2012 11:54 PM

Necessary Evils

I've been working with this mare for my mom. She's been going very well, except for a single problem: not responding to my "forward" cues. So, after verbal cues, sqeezing, tapping and kicking, I gave her some... encouragement, and let her go with it. I didn't stop her as soon as she took off, and I slowed her back down into a nice lope.

I just had to share. Sometimes, things like this are necassary, even though you might not like doing it (I dont) and other people might not like it, but when it comes down to it, you gotta do what you gotta do!

caseymyhorserocks 05-04-2012 12:04 AM

<---- Is waiting to see what some people respond.. Hmm! -subscribes-

Skyseternalangel 05-04-2012 12:19 AM

One mistake.. when you smacked her to go you shouldn't have held onto the reins (thus bopping her in the mouth) you should have kept your seat and let her brace against absolutely nothing.

But yeah sometimes it's necessary.

tinyliny 05-04-2012 12:21 AM

Too bad you weren't ready for her response so you didn't hang on by the reins when she did go. However, no biggie. I bet she'll be more responsive from now on. She sure can skitter.

trailhorserider 05-04-2012 12:24 AM

Maybe I just missed it, but I was expecting to see a horse not willing to go forward at all or something. This horse was actually walking out pretty decent before you blew up on her?

QHriderKE 05-04-2012 12:24 AM

I've seen her do all kinds of stuff in the pasture... but she just dies as soon as you put a saddle on her.

I wasn't ready for the big launch, last time I had to do it, she didn't launch like that.

QHriderKE 05-04-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailhorserider (Post 1485200)
Maybe I just missed it, but I was expecting to see a horse not willing to go forward at all or something. This horse was actually walking out pretty decent before you blew up on her?

I had her loping, and then she broke into a trot, so I walked her a bit and tried to bring her back up, but she was being stubborn about it, so she got a pop.

RunSlideStop 05-04-2012 12:28 AM

Would love to comment but cannot view video on my phone. Can you make it available for mobile viewing? Thanks!

Cheers,
RSS
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 05-04-2012 12:31 AM

Haha she was " oh sh**! Ok I'm going!" Lol she sure can move lol
Posted via Mobile Device

QHriderKE 05-04-2012 12:33 AM

I know she can move... she just doesn't know she can undersaddle.

You can see how nicely forward she was after: