The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Are helmets Mandatory? (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/helmets-mandatory-122294/)

dbarabians 05-04-2012 08:09 AM

Are helmets Mandatory?

I am thinking of trying endurance again and want to know are helmets mandatory.
I have read the rules that state all under 18 must wear one. That is all I can find in the rule book.
I do not wear helmets and this may keep me from competeing,
I have seen a few pictures of people wearing caps or other hats.
I have competed in the 90's and then it was optional.
That hard piece of plastic on my head and chin strap bother me.
Shalom

mildot 05-04-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarabians (Post 1485487)
That hard piece of plastic on my head and chin strap bother me.

A) There are so many helmets shaped to fit so many different heads that it is impossible not to find a helmet that can be worn comfortably for hours.

B) Same goes for the design of the chin strap. In any event, the chin strap need not be jammed hard against the underside of your jaw/front of your neck.

C) Whatever slight discomfort a helmet may cause compared to a ballcap will hurt a lot less than permanent brain damage.

mls 05-04-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mildot (Post 1485562)
C) Whatever slight discomfort a helmet may cause compared to a ballcap will hurt a lot less than permanent brain damage.

I liked the fact that wearing a helmet, we could keep trotting right along and all I did was dip my head a bit to let branches brush off my helmet. Easier that trying to dodge around them and risk my horses legs.

tlkng1 05-04-2012 10:15 AM

Yes. Directly from the USEF Rulebook:
http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2012/10-EN.pdf

EN110 Dress Code .
1. Protective headgear, of a recognized equestrian/endurance standard and adequately secured, is compulsory for all persons at all Endurance events while mounted.
1.1. The protective headgear must be properly fitting protective headgear which passes or surpasses ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials)/SEI (Safety Equipment Institute) standards for equestrian use and carries the SEI tag. Harness must be secured and properly fitted.
1.2. It is the responsibility of the rider, or the parent or guardian of the junior rider to see to it that the headgear worn complies with appropriate safety standards for protective headgear intended for equestrian use, and is properly fitted and in good condition, and the Federation, Organizing Committee, and Officials or volunteers are not responsible for checking headgear worn for such compliance.

As for the chin strap, the idea is to tighten it just enough that the strap won't come over your chin in a fall...after all, the idea is to keep the helmet ON through the fall, not lose it during the descent.

mls 05-04-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlkng1 (Post 1485582)
Yes. Directly from the USEF Rulebook:
http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2012/10-EN.pdf

That is USEF.

Rules are different for different organizations.

AERC only has rules for juniors:

A Junior is a rider who was under the age of 16 as of the first day of the ride season in which the ride is held.

All Juniors, sponsored or un-sponsored, must wear approved safety helmets (approval by AHSA, PCA, ANSIZ90.4,

or Snell).

tlkng1 05-04-2012 11:10 AM

My suggestion would be to check with the show sponsors or even the rules organizaton (whether local or national) to determine if you need only comply with the specific national/local organization rules or if they are also following overall USEF rules. Most of the rules from the National/local organizations are taken from the USEF rules in some form or fashion.

Wallee 05-04-2012 03:12 PM

Why would they care if you wore a helmet of not? I mean no one will be hurt but the one who choses not to wear it. I hate when people try to force feed their ideas of helmet or no helmet. Let the people chose!!!

kait18 05-04-2012 03:15 PM

i would say ask the sponsor as well... it could be a liabilty issue if the event is on private grounds..

mildot 05-04-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallee (Post 1485923)
Why would they care if you wore a helmet of not? I mean no one will be hurt but the one who choses not to wear it. I hate when people try to force feed their ideas of helmet or no helmet. Let the people chose!!!

A) Any equine event organizer that has more than two functioning brain cells has liability insurance.

B) Liability insurance cost less and less the more universally accepted safety precautions are put in place.

C) Helmets are a universally accepted safety precaution to reduce the occurrence and severity of traumatic head injuries.

D) You can hate mandatory helmet use all you like. There is a simple solution to your problem. Don't participate in activities that require them.

E) You do not have the right to participate in any privately organized event. You do so at the pleasure of the organizers. And if they decide that all participants are going to wear a helmet, then you will or you will leave.

Simple as that.

cakemom 05-04-2012 06:46 PM

There is not a show ground anywhere around here where you can get on a horse at all without a helmet.
Posted via Mobile Device