The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   New to the show world (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/new-show-world-122336/)

julieann15 05-04-2012 04:57 PM

New to the show world

Hi everyone!

I started riding and showing when I was really young(now graduating college) but once I reached high school I started competing in barrel racing and went that route. After many years of barrels I miss showing and want to get back into it, but Im not really sure where to start? Where do people compete in oregon washington and idaho?Is there a club?And what about AQHA shows? I want to be pretty competitive (I know it will take a while:)) and what are some western pleasure sites?Basically any websites that have western pleasure horses for sale, discussions, rules etc. I would really appreciate it! Also where is the best place to get inexpensive tack and clothing but still decent quality show tack? Thanks! Have a nice day!:)
Julie

GoAppendix 05-06-2012 10:44 AM

Horses for Sale, Horse Classifieds, Horse Shows, Horse Forums, AQHA, APHA, ApHC, POAC, Pleasure, Horse.com | PleasureHorse.com

DejaVu 05-06-2012 12:17 PM

There's shows all over, you just have to get in there, and find the circuits you like.
What I do often, is I'll go to the websites of the local big name trainers, and see what shows they have listed. They usually will keep a calendar listed with the shows their show team is going to.

For clothing and tack, Hobby Horse sells some nice clothing for a good price.
Don't be afraid of used stuff either. You can find some great deals on eBay, and similar sites.
My show saddle I bought used, only shown in about four times, so it's still basically new, decked out in silver, for about 2k cheaper than it's retail.

I prefer all my western tack from either Schneiders or Smith Brothers, but Schneiders is more show oriented.
Rods sells some really nice stuff as well.

Here's the links to these websites:
Schneider Saddlery - Horse Blankets, Horse Sheets, Stable Supplies, and More
Smith Brothers Western Horse Tack
Hobby Horse Clothing Co. - Horse Show Apparel, Attire, Accessories
Rods.com - Western Wear and Clothing, Western Decor, Cowboy Boots, Hats, Horse Tack and more

spurstop 05-06-2012 11:30 PM

Subscribe to the QH Journal - they publish all AQHA shows in there.

Coffeejunkie 05-17-2012 04:48 PM

Search for AQHA regional clubs in those states, and contact some people about finding a trainer. Even if you don't intend to keep a horse with them full time, it's great to have an extra set of eyes. Plus then you have someone you can build a relationship with for help along the way, and a group you could stall with at the horse shows. Pleasurehorse, as suggested earlier is a good resource as well. As far as tack and clothing, there's always lots of options. Buy the best you can with your money, even if it means going used! You can cruise photography websites (kirkbride, finnegean) to check out what people are wearing.