The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Trailer Hitch (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/trailer-hitch-122351/)

gooseneck 05-04-2012 07:10 PM

Trailer Hitch

I made my son a trailer hitch for towing his horse trailer but it ended up coming apart and the trailer passed me on the freeway when testing it, because it had broken lose.
I did a little research and this is what i found Reese 30K Low Profile Fifth Wheel Hitch 30054 :: 5th Wheel Hitch :: Hitch Anything sounds good and looks safer, has anybody tried this?

Ripper 05-05-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gooseneck (Post 1486231)
I made my son a trailer hitch for towing his horse trailer but it ended up coming apart and the trailer passed me on the freeway when testing it, because it had broken lose.
I did a little research and this is what i found Reese 30K Low Profile Fifth Wheel Hitch 30054 :: 5th Wheel Hitch :: Hitch Anything sounds good and looks safer, has anybody tried this?

What kind of trailer do you have???

Those "mini hitches" work fine but....they are not the same as a "gooseneck" style.

waresbear 05-07-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Ok, this should never have happened regardless if the hitch broke. To prevent a death of some innocent person please use a break away braking system and safety chains. I am not familiar with US state towing laws but in Canada, if your rig is not up to code, you are towed, horses or not.

Joe4d 05-07-2012 10:24 PM

i think you should find a professional shop to install the right kind of hitch to suit your needs.

gooseneck 05-29-2012 07:09 AM

Thanks for the response... I guess we'll go for the gooseneck.

Rancher 05-29-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

I made my son a trailer hitch for towing his horse trailer but it ended up coming apart and the trailer passed me on the freeway

You tested it on the freeway?? :shock: