The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse down, Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-down-help-122446/)

New_image 05-05-2012 10:01 PM

Horse down, Help!

This is probably going to make little sence as I'm typing fast, on my phone while walking a horse. I've been around all day today, Molly (25 year old love of my life) has been fine. Happily out to pasture. Went for dinner at 7PM returned at 830PM, Molly ran from the back of the pasture up to come into her paddock for the night which was a little hasty on her part but I thought the bugs were bothering her. Let her stop in her stall to finish this mornings grain and went about my evening chores. She didn't want her gain (not entirely unusual but odd) let her into her night time paddock with the geldings and she took off like a shot. Ran around then DROPPED and started rolling. Layed there, got up RAN, dropped, rolled. I thought collic and grabbed her, took her back out, she is breathing super heavy, acting very "dumb", dragging me to walk on her lead rope or wanting to roll, sweating, both nostrils have some white snot streaming (actually streaming) - pretty sure it isn't collic, hill billy vet on the way but I'm sure if I don't know HE wont know. Ideas? Snot streaming, hard to breath, she keeps dropping!

Cat 05-05-2012 10:09 PM

Could be colic with wanting to drop and roll.

Any coughing like it might be choke? What is her temperature and other vitals?

live2ride8 05-05-2012 10:10 PM

Sorry cant help, I had no idea but best of luck. Sending prayers your way <3
Posted via Mobile Device

KennyRogersPaints 05-05-2012 10:13 PM

First off, do you have any banamine? That is the best thing to keep her comfortable while you are walking her, I would say it sounds like a very exaggerate colic, if I were you I would talk to my vet and have him tube her, and perform a rectal exam to check for twists in her intestine or blockage, vet should recommend fluids and banamine, or worst case, immediate colic surgery, keep he up, walking and try to not let her eat, and let her drink as much as he wants to

KennyRogersPaints 05-05-2012 10:15 PM

Also, what color are her gums? And are they moist or very dry?

Ripper 05-05-2012 10:51 PM

Doesn't sound like colic alone.

I am lost on this one.

((((((hugs)))))))

New_image 05-05-2012 10:58 PM

Moist pale gums, low heart rate, banamine given. Vet is here, tubing now to check for obstruction. She has choke symptoms, tons of fluid coming up her mouth and nose. Shes stopped walking now, stands nose streaming or lays down and rolls very fast/hard. Very wobbly/weak now. Temp is normal. Other vitals show shock.

Dressage10135 05-05-2012 10:59 PM

Glad the vet is out.. hoping she pulls through!!

cakemom 05-05-2012 11:00 PM

Poor gal. Glad the vet is there!! Keep us updated.
Posted via Mobile Device

New_image 05-05-2012 11:34 PM

Nose tube passed threw throat, hit stomach and stopped, a lot of fluid came up out of the tube from her stomach. Rectal exam he felt a hard mass just about out of reach behind her stomach. After the 15cc she is standing quietly. Heart rate holding at 40. He advices putting her down. Says we could try tubbing oil but he stomach is already under pressure. I'm at a loss of what to do.
Posted via Mobile Device