The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Help with an Introduction Turned Violent (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/help-introduction-turned-violent-122672/)

Scaperjess 05-07-2012 08:51 PM

Help with an Introduction Turned Violent

I need advice. I recently acquired two new young additions to my little zoo. Tango a two year old colt and Anubis a two year old mule gelding. Tango was a stud colt when I brought him home and he was gelded about a month ago. Since my mare Dreu is very receptive to the gentlemen Tango has been kept separate while his hormones have settled. Since Anubis was a gelding I put him out with Dreu and they have been peaceful pasture mates. Tango was gelded about a month ago now so I decided to try and introduce him into the pasture with the others. It did not go well. Iíve seen many introductions and I do know that you can expect some chasing and kicking etc., but Anubis chased Tango around the field until he got him cornered where he bit then swung around a kicked him, he then ran back to Dreu. Tango stayed at the far end of my three acre pasture opposite of them. A couple minutes later Anubis did it again, he ran clear across the pasture chasing down Tango to bite him until I ran over and chasing him away and grabbed Tango. During this Dreu was running around tail flagging and whinnying! I got Tango out of the pasture. Iíve never seen a horse run clear across a pasture, just to chase another horse unprovoked. I know Anubis is very attached to Dreu and I also know sheís been showing signs of heat for a month and just finally seemed to have stopped. I donít want to risk serious injury to Tango. I have no interest in getting rid of anyone. I know Dreu is the complicating force and he is being possessive of her. Is there anything I can do? Would it be better to just keep them separate for now? I am moving soon and will be able to set up adjacent pastures if needed but I would like it if one day everyone could live together in relative peace.

waresbear 05-07-2012 08:56 PM

Some geldings claim a mare as his own and will fight like a stallion against other geldings. Only solution, other than taking the mare out, is not putting the geldings together.

kitten_Val 05-07-2012 09:13 PM

My paint mare used to do it with low in pecking order horse (older gelding): just run across the field and attacked him for no reason what so ever. Eventually BO just put him in a different field with other gelding. I don't think you can do much here: either wait and hope or separate them out.

Saskia 05-07-2012 09:51 PM

I'd probably wait a little, or perhaps take the mare out for a little while and just have the two geldings, then re-introduce the mare.

Introductions can be really rough, they can take a while to settle down.

Foxhunter 05-08-2012 01:42 AM

I dislike running mares and geldings together in the summer, it can be asking for trouble.
I would take the mare out and let the geldings together.

Tianimalz 05-08-2012 08:37 AM

A friend of mine had a problem with two geldings a little while back. Their lead Qh is very dominant, and he decided he didn't like the new boarder horse in his herd. He'd do the same thing you described and it took a year and many bite marks later for it to finally settle down enough to where the boarder horse could stay in the same pasture as the QH gelding.

I think your best bet may to be to run a separate pasture so that they can see and interact with each other, but avoid violence until things simmer. Maybe get Tango his own pasture buddy so he isn't lonely.

Good luck, hope things quiet down soon; nothing fun about horses establishing their pecking order.

shaggy 05-08-2012 09:21 PM

Just found this kinda funny since Anubis was the one doing the chasing. did you know that Anubis is the Egyptian god of death just a fun fact

Army wife 05-09-2012 05:27 AM

I would take the mare out and let the boys be. I was always told..."Boys and Girls don't share rooms" ;) This could be exactly why.

ohmyitschelle 05-09-2012 05:45 AM

As someone with previous experience with a possessive gelding over 'his' mare, I vowed I would never paddock boys and girls together again. It was so much of a hassle and then separating them over a fence was just as bad as Evo would pace up and down trying to protect Honey. It was ridiculous how crazy he went over her when he was otherwise an absolute gem. However his possessiveness got to the point where he was dictating how Honey would live and so it was one of the things I haven't missed since selling him.

Just save yourself the issue of introducing them. They can meet over a fence if you want, but take the mare out and let the geldings be together.