The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Help me get a more relaxed blanced canter please (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/help-me-get-more-relaxed-blanced-122698/)

Klassic Superstar 05-08-2012 02:40 AM

Help me get a more relaxed blanced canter please

Okay so Oliver trot work has really come along! He understands we do lots of starchy trot circles and figure eights after our canter work in our rides. Ow I want to start foccusing on getting him to be less tense, use his hind end more and become more balanced.

Can you give me exercises, tips and or any advice on helping him? I'v really started getting my self to sit up, ride through my seat relaxe my arms (and go with him but keep the contact) guess what... I was looking up 85% of our ride on Saturday! I hope to get some video from the lunge line and me riding him tomorrow to post on here. I want to be riding training level by the end of the summer so my goal is to get our trantions down and keep up the great work in our trot and get a good basic relaxed working canter going.

Exercises with diagrams would be wonderful! I'm better at remembering that stuff then just words lol
Or even videos would be helpful!

Thanks!

Klassic Superstar 05-08-2012 03:00 AM

Here is a couple of videos

On is for sale video
The 2nd is from a early winter jumping lesson and the 3rd is from a march jumping lesson.

Can you see any improvement?

1st video: ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCTyz0qIcQg&feature=youtube_gdata_player (date is wrong year is 2011 not 2010 and here is being ridden by a highly trained eventing trainer who started him)

2nd video:(october 2011)
3rd video: (most recent jumping lesson. This is with my old trainer back in march)

Getting more video tomorrow!

Klassic Superstar 05-08-2012 03:01 AM

***1st video*****: (date is wrong year is 2011 not 2010 and here is being ridden by a highly trained eventing trainer who started him)

Klassic Superstar 05-08-2012 03:02 AM

My videos are loding strangky sorry so try to go off from my October ride and a training ride from trainer who started him back last year!

Kayty 05-08-2012 03:12 AM

Have a look in the dressage subforum - I posted a few threads in there for people to put up tips on improving the walk, trot and canter - there is some very good information in them that will help you.

DRichmond 05-08-2012 04:18 AM

Here are some horsie yoga and stretches, you both might like these:

https://www.youtube.com/user/HolisticHorseWorks#g/u

There may be some soreness or physiological imbalance causing his tension, possibly?

Klassic Superstar 05-08-2012 12:02 PM

Bump bump
Would love more feed back or advice before heading out to the barn here in a couple of hours!

SunnyBlack 05-08-2012 01:59 PM

YouTube videos seem to crash my mobile device today so.... Without actually seeing your seat, I'm just going to give you my basic advice I give everyone looking for balance in the canter. Much like in the trot your goals are a forward moving horse with an extended stride. However you can not "put" the horse there he must carry himself. Most likely the reason u feel unbalanced in the canter is because your used to carrying this horse around the ring, so when u canter onto a lead hes dragging himself under you while your doing all the work to push him toward and in front of your leg. Remember a round horse is a horse that's developed the correct muscles to carry itself and has the more willingness to carry a frame. Horses that expect me to carry them is like my Biggest pet-peave, lol. And when i feel a horse trying to stride behind me, or hollow it's back out of work I will spend extra time in the trot encouraging forward movement and rounding of the spine. The horse must understand to engage for behind before you can really start canter work, otherwise you cOuld run around the ring giving swift kicks to help engage his hindquarters under you. (which I've done before too but normally on "corrective" horses that needed a lesson in forward motion.) remember forward movement is always the answer. I would bring this horse down to the trot for awhile and work on encouraging roundness, by riding with a soft rein and driving with your seat while squeezing with your calf to engage his hind end. Remember ur seat regulates pace while ur calf engages his hind legs. Therefor a squeeze or kick does not mean run away with me but "get under yourself" (although with extreme cases of horse with backwards motion, a kick can simply mean move forward lol)

Once u feel like u have a founder horse for a few circles, then take him into the canter. U transfer this frame by sitting and putting ur outside leg back engaging the canter. However u have to mean it, and if that means giving a kick or bring him down to the trot and working on that transition until he keeps his frame and doesn't hollow into the canter, then so be it. getting a horse to keep a round frame is harder than it sounds and does take time, so dot give up. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Klassic Superstar 05-08-2012 02:09 PM

Thanks a ton!!! I will remember that!!
Posted via Mobile Device

SunnyBlack 05-08-2012 02:25 PM

Btw I meant forward horse not founder horse... Sigh darn iPhone autocorrect.
Posted via Mobile Device