The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Was I right to get involved? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-right-get-involved-12274/)

blossom856 07-27-2008 10:19 AM

Was I right to get involved?

There was supposed to be a local horse show this morning, unfortunately it was canceled. My barn didn't receive notification until 6:30PM. Of course by that time all the horses were ready. Later that night someone asked me to go to the show's website and tell them that they should notify people earlier about a cancellation. So I emailed the president of the club and gave them the information I was given.

This morning I received a very angry email. She denied saying she'd call us at noon. She ranted about how she has a life and a job. Then she went on about how difficult it is to be president and if I thought I could do a better job then I should be president.

So I apologized because I hate making people upset because it makes me upset. She accepted it and told me she'd been receiving angry phone calls all day. But I still regret doing it.

claireauriga 07-27-2008 10:56 AM

The club president was out of line. No doubt a lot of people had been getting on at her, blah blah blah, but as long as you were polite, her behaviour was uncalled for. There was no need for you to apologise - 6:30pm is far too late to notify people of a cancellation, and if she did ring at 12pm and not get an answer, she should have continued trying at half twelve, one o'clock, half one, and so on.

kickshaw 07-27-2008 11:12 AM

she was not right to do that - - at all!

besides, doesn't she have a whole slew of other board members that should have helped call?? Seems like other barns were not notified unti late also...

as the saying goes "don't shoot the messenger" - - I would have written the same email...sounds like the President is going through a bit much at this time and decided to take it all out on you.

I betcha next time they'll have a better system in place, though!

My2Geldings 07-27-2008 11:52 AM

Unless the wording in your email was rude or mean, it very unprofessional on her part to be aggressive towards you regardless of what was going on on her end.

She put herself in that position as president so she has no one but herself to blame if it's to difficult. After canceling the show she should have been expecting people calling her back and in your case email.It was big on your part for sending an apology.

Nothing you did was wrong and she should have been professional with you EVEN if you had contacted her in an angry manner. It's all about professionalism towards you customers.

Casperluff 07-27-2008 02:34 PM

She is the club manager- Part of her job is taking the heat for mistakes made.

You were not out of line, she was.

She is probably just really stressed from all the complaints and snapped just a tad bit. :?

Cat 07-27-2008 02:43 PM

She was out of line with that type of response.

However, I wonder why the person who asked you to contact her didn't do it themselves? I've learned in life not to contact people for others over things like this unless they have a really valid reason for not doing it themselves. Usually they don't do it because they know the response they will get and thus want to pass it on to someone else.

Jamie Anne 07-27-2008 08:47 PM

She seems very unprofessional. I don't think you were wrong at all!

DashAwayAll 07-28-2008 06:24 AM

The Prez should have kept her cool, but I'll bet ya dollars to donuts there were some very nasty calls to her before you rang.

The question I have is why was the show cancelled? It would have to be something "important" if it was cancelled that late. If it was at a local riding center, the center lost the revenue of the show and what would have been scheduled lessons.

Gaited07 07-28-2008 10:28 AM

I would have to question the reasoning behind the short notice of cancellation myself.
I don't know how the email was worded or how many calls the president received but it sounded like a lot of concerned indivisuals wanting answers that the President should have provided and expected to receive on a short notice like this.

Gangsta 07-28-2008 04:43 PM

a cancellation at 6.30pm would be welcomed here. we're notified by the shows website by 6.30am the day of the show, here. out of every show I go to, there's only 2 that make decisions the night before...and then not usually unti 8.30pm