The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   First time on a horse in 10 years (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/first-time-horse-10-years-122749/)

ohfroggit 05-08-2012 02:27 PM

First time on a horse in 10 years

4 Attachment(s)
Okay, this was my first time riding in about 10 years (actually, 11), so I absolutely expect some serious flaws. With that said... be gentle with me, please. Lol. I'd like constructive criticism and advice, not degredation. :)

Corporal 05-08-2012 02:38 PM

Actually, you look pretty good. =D
You have good posture, your hands appear soft, you have a nice line from your elbow through to the bit.
Perhaps you could pull your foot back a bit and pull your toe in, but there's an exercise for this--ride the first 1/2 hour without stirrups.
You have a WHOLE summer to enjoy, so...ENJOY!!!

Spirit Lifter 05-08-2012 02:46 PM

Nice horse! And you don't look bad to me but I ride western. Congrats on being back in the saddle!

tinyliny 05-08-2012 03:20 PM

I agree with the others. It might help to lower the stirrup one notch, might make bringing your leg back easier.
When you begin riding (and I know you are not a beginner) one tends to ride too much off the stirrup. you might want to lower the stirrup and really relax your legs and think more of the weight on your seatbones, as if you are an amputee.

ohfroggit 05-08-2012 03:38 PM

Thank you guys! My toes being out drives me NUTS. I definitely should have had longer stirrups, I should have adjusted once mounted.

She is a pretty girl, isn't she? This is a friend's horse (and farm), a Lipizzan cross mare who has done level 2 dressage but is currently coming back in to shape after having a foal about 10 months ago.

I felt kind of... unsure, as I never learned dressage and the cues are kind of
different for dressage. When I took lessons/rode often I was more focused on jumping, etc. I sure wish I had never stopped!!!

Okay, so... longer legs, legs back, toes in.

Brittz 05-09-2012 03:51 AM

You look pretty great :) All I can think of is bring your leg back a little, so if your horse suddenly vanished from underneath you you would fall on your feet, the first photo shows your leg a little bit to far forward. Aside from that, nice posture, lovely soft looking hands. And some no stirrup work, love it always polishes my seat off :) Pretend someone is dragging your heels to the floor :) (Just read everyone else's posts and they covered it pretty well, may as well post this anyway though) GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME BACK !

Skyseternalangel 05-09-2012 03:56 AM

Ride better than I do :) Have fun getting back into riding!

Back2Horseback 05-09-2012 04:22 AM

I am basically in the same place that you are, having come back to riding after 15 years, though! I fully agree with your comment "Wish I had never stopped." I would give ANYTHING for that to be my reality, as relearning is going to be tough...

You look really good in the saddle. In a lot of ways, actually, you look similar (in your leg position) to the way I looked in the photos my husband took last week...) My toes, as wel,l were out rather than pointing more forward as they "should" have been...did you by any chance feel as though you were gripping with your leg in weird places? I felt really odd. Especially when posting a bit. I just felt "strange" in general...sort of like, "I am supposed to be doing this naturally and with ease, but it's taking a lot more effort from my body than my brain thinks it should...confusing!" :0)

Anyway, you look very good to me and quite at ease! How often do you plan to ride? Best of luck to you!! :0)

ohfroggit 05-09-2012 10:41 AM

I don't know if I felt like I was gripping in weird places. I do know that when I concentrated really hard on having my toes forward, I felt like my knees were digging in a lot. *sigh* My body is not as elastic as it was when I was a teenager.

I did feel a bit awkward while posting... I felt kind of heavy and just strange. Posting used to be so natural!

I'd like to ride a lot more often... This picture was actually in March and I haven't ridden since then. I want to take lessons again, but think I would feel funny taking lessons as an adult. But I think that to get back in to the swing of things, so to speak, a nice laid back school horse who is forgiving of mistakes and not *quite* as sensitive to leg/weight cues would be a better choice for me. Because I DEFINITELY felt like I had no clue what I was doing on this mare.