The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Careers and Jobs

682 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  northwesten 
#1 ·
I'm currently in the military working with computers. I like the military (although I don't plan on staying in beyond my current contract), but I hate computers.

This leaves me frightened of what I'm going to do when I get out the military. I mean it worries me senseless. Maybe this level of anxiety is irrational. :shock: Before the military I was living with my parents volunteering at an animal shelter. I've never really had a real "job".

I'm debating on doing a two year degree in dental hygiene just so I have something to fall back on and a source of income, but it's certainly not my dream job. That way I won't waste too much time in school doing something that I might not even stick with.

I'm curious! If you're willing to answer, what does everyone do for work?

#2 ·
If you are going to take advantage of your GI bill and go to college, I suggest that you not waste it or your time on ANYTHING that you don't want to stick with. Instead, I would go towards some sort of degree. Don't panic, you don't HAVE to pick what you want to do when you start college. All degrees have core requirements which consist of math, english, etc. Most degrees have the SAME core requirements so until you figure it out, take core classes and start getting the boring things out of the way. Then maybe add in a few "fun" classes of different interests to try out some new things. If you have a temp agency near by, see if they can put you on a few temp jobs. It might be something crappy and computer-ish for now, but they have a wide range of fields to put you in. You may work at a doctors office one day, and a lawyers office the next. You will meet other people with other jobs in those industries and maybe one day you'll say "I really want to do what THAT person does" and then if you have your core requirements met, you can get classes towards that and be on your way. This is what I did....

But don't waste that college money on something you don't even want to do, you will regret it. Especially when you do decide what you want and the money is already used.

#3 ·
Well I served in the British Army for over 7 years. So with that I had 4 weeks to use to do some training.

My dream job was working with horses... Though I also looked at long term in case and trained in truck driving which was good money. I loved it but Horses is still my dream job really.

Though I moved to the US so I work at Walmart as CSM. Never thought I work in retail but it's a job for now.

My advise is what ever job/career you want to do. Make sure it something you can earn well and be happy with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.