The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   New Leather (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/new-leather-122899/)

Lexiie 05-09-2012 04:20 PM

New Leather

I just received my new leather halter, and I wanted to know if I should clean it with leather CPR and then leather conditioner.
It's got weird white on it, I've heard that new leather comes with that and it should be left on.
I guess I should just take it to the barn and let it collect some dust first, hahaha

Lexiie 05-09-2012 06:05 PM

Anybody know if it's okay for me to clean it?

HorsesAreMyPassion 05-09-2012 11:01 PM

I think it would be a good idea to oil your new leather halter before using it and cleaning it for the first time.

You could try taking a dry cloth and wiping down the halter to get any surface dust or dirt off first and then apply a light coating of oil. If the oil seems to soak in to the leather quickly, you can apply another light coating of oil, as needed. When applying oil it is better to apply it lightly and add more as needed rather than apply it too heavily and overdoing it. Overdoing it with too much oil can weaken the leather.

After applying the oil and letting it soak in to the leather you could add a coating of glycerine soap to finish off with. I like to use glycerine bar soap. Just remember to wring your sponge out super well, so it it almost dry, and then rub it over the glycerine bar and apply it to the leather.

Whenever I get new leather tack, the first thing I do is oil it, then I like to add the layer of glycerine soap to finish off with. Then regular cleaning and conditioning and oiling as needed to keep it in good condition. Usually don't have to oil very often when cleaned and conditioned regularly.

Hope that helps.

Lexiie 05-09-2012 11:03 PM

Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 05-11-2012 11:36 AM

Be careful with cleaning or oiling as it may wind up patchy looking. Perhaps do a small test patch on the poll strap where it would sit between the ears. If it doesn't work out no one will see it there. The white could be a wax of some sort that has developed a bloom.

Lexiie 05-11-2012 11:59 AM

That's why I must use leather CPR