The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Body clipping for the summer (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/body-clipping-summer-122986/)

Acco 05-10-2012 03:58 PM

Body clipping for the summer

Iím supposed to body clip a horse at my barn for the summer (looks like heís already shed out into his summer coat to me, but I guess heís just a sweaty guy).

I have two questions Ė the first is, am I supposed to leave one of those saddle shaped areas on his back? If so, how do you determine the size and placement of the area you leave unclipped? Clearly, you donít want any of it to show when heís being riddenÖ Or is it ok to just clip everything?

The second question involves clipping the head Ė any tips? I donít think Iíve ever clipped a whole head Ė Iíve been clipping the lesson horses for years but they just have me stop at the throat and leave the head unclipped. Do you clip the outside of the ears? How close to the eye do I get? What about that tricky area under/in between the jaw bones?

The horse is a hunter and will just be doing local unrated shows

Thanks in advance!

KaiKamm93 05-12-2012 07:40 PM

Hey there! If I were you, I would ask the horse's owner if they want the saddle cut or not... you don't want to get in trouble if they want it there, but you don't want to annoy them if you do leave it! Also, if they do want a saddle patch, be sure to ask if they want a girth line as well.
If they DO want a saddle patch, I put the saddle (with no pad) on the horse's back, and outline it with chalk or non-toxic powder of any kind.

As for the head... if the horse will be showing (at ANY level) trimming the muzzle is a MUST in the hunter world. Personally, I always shave the insides of the ears... makes for a very kept-up look. But if the horse is funny about the clippers in their ears (many are), you can take a scissor or smaller set of clippers and just trim them up so they don't have serious ear fuzz. *But whatever you do, NEVER shave the whiskers near the horse's eyes. If they are extremely long & hideous, most people will trim them with a scissor, but NEVER cut them completely off.

If you have any other questions or tips, let me know. I've been clipping at least 4+ times a years for as long as I remember, so I've pretty much done & scene it all ;D

sinsin4635 05-12-2012 08:37 PM

If I'm not mistaken, I think they only leave saddle shapes in the winter. In summertime , all of it comes off.

KaiKamm93 05-12-2012 09:07 PM

^^ That is generally correct. But if the owner's instructions were foggy, just ask! :)